Gary Johnson reaction to Tiverton win
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
Manager Gary Johnson is close to his eighth Torquay United signing of the summer after more bright individual performances in Tuesday night's 3-1 friendly win at Tiverton Town.
One of four trialists, former Colchester United and Cheltenham Town striker Dan Holman scored twice, a rasping shot from 20 yards and a penalty he forced on the stroke of half-time.
But Holman wasn't the only new face to impress as the Gulls recovered from Gabriel Rogers' early strike and eventually clinched victory through sub Danny Wright (70mins) after several changes in the second half restored senior players to an experimental starting XI.
Ex-Torquay Academy and Yeovil Town midfielder Rogers rewarded Tiverton's bright start by cutting in from the right and hitting the top left-hand corner from 22 yards in the 17th minute.
"We always get a tough game against Tiverton, and I'm pleased we did," said Johnson.
"When tackles are flying around, you have to be a bit sharper in your control.
"We got a bit more experience out there in the second half, quickened things up and were able to get a bit more quality on the ball.
- 1 Nightmare on Torwood Street continues...
- 2 Are you running on E10 and is it feeling any different?
- 3 Busy weekend for South Devon AC runners
- 4 Spirited draw for the Gulls
- 5 The Spanish are beaten on their field of stones
- 6 Seafront switch on for a brighter and lighter future
- 7 Torbay AAC trio tackle Saints' Way Challenge
- 8 Paignton Bowling Club win Mid Devon League Cup
- 9 Austins battle through Spanish flu, World War Two and now pandemic but boss David says: 'Now is our Time'
- 10 Chesterfield 2 Torquay United 2
"We had plenty of chances as the game went on, but I lost count of the number of times we hit the netting behind their goal. We'll be working on that.
"I was pleased for Dan Holman - he showed us what he's got to offer.
"We had moments when we saw our game more than we have seen previously."
United, who have beaten Southern League Premier trio Poole (2-0), Truro (3-0) and Tiverton but lost to League One Plymouth Argyle (0-3), now look forward to NL South Chippenham Town at Plainmoor on Saturday (3pm).