Gary Johnson: 'I blame myself'
- Credit: Darren Woolley/PPAUK
Manager Gary Johnson says Torquay United must stop the rot - and quickly - after a 4-1 defeat at Maidenhead United left them eight points adrift of new National League leaders Sutton United.
Johnson admitted: "We played for about 15 minutes in total, and it was absolutely embarrassing for the rest of it.
"I put the team out, it didn't perform and I blame myself. When you are as poor as that, I'm taking full responsibility."
Error-strewn defending was punished especially during a three-goal spell either side of half-time, including two for ex-Gulls striker Nathan Blissett.
Two wins in eleven games has wiped out United's double-figure lead at Christmas and seen Sutton United (W12 D3 L2) charge clear themselves.
United, now third, are home to King's Lynn Town on Saturday and Solihull Moors next Tuesday, with Johnson stressing: "We have a lot of work to do."
- 1 Charlton await United - if Gulls can win FA Cup replay
- 2 Johnson on FA Cup result: 'Havant deserved something out of game'
- 3 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 4 Picture special: Torbay buses
- 5 'Mixed' bag for Torbay teams as basketball season opens
- 6 Retro Sport with Roger Mann: An ambition which money just can't buy!
- 7 A harvest of hope at Pollinator Patch
- 8 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 9 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 10 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?