Gary Johnson: I am very proud but we mustn’t rest on our laurels
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
Manager Gary Johnson hailed the set-piece threat of centre-back Kyle Cameron after Torquay United captain’s two goals had beaten Dover Athletic 2-0 at Plainmoor - the Gulls’ fourth win in five games.
Cameron headed home in the 26th and 44th minutes, and Johnson said: “Kyle takes a lot of stick off me - he’s a fantastic header of the ball in his own area, but he just needed to improve in the opposition area.
“He’s doing that now, and that’s three goals already this season. He was unlucky not to get another one today.”
Johnson added: “We created many, many chances in the game, and the only slight negative was that we didn’t take more of them
“But we were a bit unlucky with some, and we restricted Dover to very few chances really.
“I am very proud of our players - the work-rate they have put in over the last five games has been tremendous.
“There aren’t that many smiles in our dressing room, because most of the lads are so tired.
- 1 Charlton await United - if Gulls can win FA Cup replay
- 2 Johnson on FA Cup result: 'Havant deserved something out of game'
- 3 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 4 Picture special: Torbay buses
- 5 'Mixed' bag for Torbay teams as basketball season opens
- 6 Retro Sport with Roger Mann: An ambition which money just can't buy!
- 7 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 8 A harvest of hope at Pollinator Patch
- 9 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 10 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
“We had a lot of breaks off Dover’s possession but we just didn’t take advantage in the second half.
“But it’s a good win, and a deserved win.
“The boys have deserved a day off on Monday, and then we will concentrate on preparing for the FA Cup at Sholing next Saturday.
“It’s a good start, but we mustn’t rest on our laurels. We must keep trying to improve.”