Inside Gulls: From the best to brink of extinction
- Credit: Archant
Inside the Gulls this week explores one of the greatest players to wear the Torquay United Yellow and Blue, plus two legendary managers and a period that saw the club reach the brink of extinction.
We start on Thursday with the enigma that was Mark Loram, a local boy blessed with extraordinary talent, but not always the required dedication to fulfil his incredible potential.
The left foot of Loram was a natural gift, he could do anything he wanted with a football and turned games with one killer pass or a wonder-strike. He was, quite simply, the best player you never saw.
We then move on to the amazing impact made by the arrival of Frank O’Farrell as manager, starting a long love affair with United that saw him hold numerous roles at Plainmoor.
The weekend kicks off with the irrepressible Paul Buckle, a former United midfielder who arrived as manager when the club was at its lowest ebb.
Bucks transformed the club over four breathtaking seasons, securing one of the finest days in the history of the Gulls.
Our latest selection is completed by the story of local business people holding the fort between the ownership of Thea Bristow and current chairman Clarke Osborne. They had precious little funding, even less football experience, and yet, somehow, saved United from disappearing forever.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 3 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 4 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 5 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 6 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 7 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 8 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 9 Herbert Whitley fulfilled earlier vision of a zoo when opening Paignton Zoological and Botanical Gardens
- 10 Chance to have your say on power giants' massive investment plans
Thanks to Pinnacle Photo Agency, Paul Levie and the late Colin Bratcher for providing the images for Inside the Gulls.
Inside the Gulls will be a downloadable series through www.torbayweekly.co.uk and just £9.99 to subscribe, which equates to just 25p per chapter. Subscribe at wqww.torbayweekly.co.uk
In addition to your digital version of Inside the Gulls, subscribers will receive a printed glossy bookazine copy on completion of the series. Even if you subscribe later in the series, all previously published chapters will be available to enjoy.
Signing up to Inside the Gulls will also benefit your club, with a percentage from every subscription donated to supporting the club as well as a specific Plainmoor project sponsored by Torbay Weekly.