Few who braved the weather were rewarded for efforts
- Credit: Submitted
Not the best of weather this week but a few hardy souls ventured out and were rewarded for their efforts.
Both Dan Hale and Kev Madeley fished local marks with Dan finding just dogfish and whiting falling to fish baits while Kev found a few small bass, all of which were returned.
The Exe has been producing a few flounders of late with Andy Browning getting among them.
Tom Stebbens made an early start leaving home at 4am and trekked to his favoured rock mark his reward being nice sized bull huss and ballan wrasse.
Tim Clotworthy from Exmouth Sea Anglers' Club fished a local rock mark and was also rewarded with a bull huss, this one tipping the scales at 8lbs 8oz.
Honiton SAC report that one of this year’s new members, Lewis Franklin fished a beach mark after dark, landing a fine small-eyed ray of just over 7lbs.
The new South West Sea Fishing League has more than 30 anglers signed up and has some good sponsors, more information can be found on Facebook.
- 1 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 2 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 3 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 4 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 5 Norrms McNamara: All care staff need to be trained in dementia
- 6 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 7 All go at Rotary club with new president, vaccines, golf and a chicken run!
- 8 Indoor bowls: 'A' team win all four rinks
- 9 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 10 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
Newbarn Farm continues to produce fish for those who are prepared to put in the time and effort, the pick of the fish this week is a beautiful fully scaled mirror carp of 11lbs 3oz falling to the rod of Andy Porter a new freshwater angler.
This fish came from Willow pool, which was the old match lake which holds a good head of roach, perch and bream as well as carp which are now going into double figures.
Other fish came from the specimen lake and include good double figure common carp to both Luke Jones and Liam O’Connor. These fish fell to ledgered boilies.
Kennick Flyfishers are getting ready for the start of their season on February 13, the reservoir will be fully stocked by then and I expect the fish to be of their usual high quality.
Tackle shops continue to be open for a click and collect service, it is worth looking at websites and Facebook pages for their opening hours.
Preston Hardware continues to be open most days of the week and stocks a good range of both sea and coarse baits including quality ragworm and peeler crabs when available.
Please keep those pictures and catch reports coming in to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay local, stay safe and tight lines.