Fans returning to Plainmoor
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
The Yellow Army are heading back to TQ1
RETURNING crowds at Torquay United’s Plainmoor ground will be limited to 2,000 after the Government placed Devon under Tier Two restrictions, not Tier One as hoped, when the current Covid-19 lockdown ends next Wednesday.
The Gulls, leaders of the National League, are working to welcome supporters back when they meet Wrexham at home on Saturday week, December 5.
But they won’t be able to accommodate 50% capacity crowds of 3,000, which would have been the case with Tier One status.
Details of how the return of supporters will work is expected to be announced in the next few days, but the whole experience is bound to be different to what fans were used to.
Plainmoor has not seen a crowd since United beat Chorley 2-0 last February 29.
United are still consulting with various national and local safety agencies.
- 1 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 2 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 3 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 4 Plans for more than 1,000 homes in new 'mini-town' get green light
- 5 Perfect ending to memorable match
- 6 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 7 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 8 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 9 Five things from Torquay United's weekend
- 10 Congratulations from Clarke
But season ticket holders are expected to be given priority, and tickets will probably have to be bought in advance, as Plainmoor moves to become a ‘cash free’ stadium.
Although family ‘bubbles’ will play a part, social distancing is likely to feature heavily in all areas of the ground – ‘footprints’ have been painted two metres apart on terraces.
Away fans are expected to be discouraged or even banned.
And a major factor in making it all work will be how the operation is stewarded, and how fans will observe the restrictions they are asked to keep.