East of county fares better in week of rain
- Credit: Tom Sandberg/PPAUK
Rained off against Cornwood last weekend, Devon Cricket League Premier Division pacesetters Paignton head into this Saturday's home 'derby' against Bovey Tracey with a reduced three-point lead.
A week of almost relentless rain hit the programme hard yet again, but the east of the county fared better than most and Sandford, Tiverton Heathcoat and Sidmouth all cashed in with wins to close the gap on Paignton.
Slow starters Bovey will be keen to move up a gear at Queen's Park, especially after their batting failed them (117ao) in a 50-run defeat against Plymouth.
The top of the table reads: Paignton 49pts, Sandford 46, Tiverton Heathcoat 38, Sidmouth 37, Exmouth 36, Plymouth 36, Bovey 32.
Another abandonment, at home to Budleigh Salterton, cost Torquay the A Division leadership, but they travel to North Devon (2nd) this Saturday with only eight points covering the top four.
Barton never recovered from 58-7 against Seaton, although Greg Shelton scored 30. They did make their opponents fight for a four-wicket win, with Morgan Harford taking 4-22, and they hit the road again this Saturday, to Cullompton.
Abbotskerswell captain Nick Watkin reckoned his side's 39-run defeat against North Devon (155-6), in a reduced 26-over game, was closer than the bare scores suggest.
- 1 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 2 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 3 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 4 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 5 Torquay United penalty order...just in case
- 6 Concentration the key for Torquay United
- 7 Tributes paid to village character Leebo who will be missed by many - but not perhaps some marauding football fans!
- 8 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 9 Congratulations from Clarke
- 10 So much at stake for Torquay United
But they could do with a morale-boosting win and Bradninch are the A Division visitors to the Two Mile Oak ground this Saturday.
Other fixtures involving local teams include: B Division - Ivybridge v Chudleigh, Ipplepen v Bideford, Dartington and Totnes v Tiverton Heathcoat 2nds, Bovey Tracey 2nds v Thorverton; C West - Bridestowe v Paignton 2nds, South Devon v Stoke Gabriel, Plymouth 2nds v Ashburton, Brixham v Hatherleigh 2nds, Cornwood 2nds v Teignmouth and Shaldon; D West - Babbacombe v Chelston and Kingskerswell, Yelverton v Ipplepen 2nds, Barton 2nds v Abbotskerswell 2nds.