Double for popular David Pipe and Tom Scudamore combination
- Credit: Tom Sandberg/Pinnacle
Racing in the South West was again put into disarray last week by the inclement weather conditions brought over by the so-called 'Beast of the East'.
This had broader impacts industry wide with widespread cancellations and the region's trainers all having to frantically change their plans for their warm-up plans for the forthcoming Cheltenham Festival.
Taunton's scheduled meeting on Tuesday February 9 was abandoned before 7am on race day with the stewards deciding that the overnight freeze had left the racecourse unsafe.
However, Exeter on Sunday February 14, was in the rare position of three races on its eight-race card being abandoned but five allowed to go ahead.
The races over the larger obstacles, the steeplechases, were deemed unsafe but the races over the hurdles still took place.
The morning thaw wasn't quite enough to make racing safe on the chase course.
The day, however, featured a double for the very popular David Pipe and Tom Scudamore combination.
- 1 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 2 United heading into the future
- 3 Torquay United 0 Argyle 3
- 4 Money talks in professional football - but it can't buy success
- 5 No packed lunches but six weeks of bad weather!
- 6 Praise for Sonny after he plays key role in senior debut for Somerset
- 7 £900,000 state-of-art gym signals start of new era at RIC
- 8 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 9 Princess curtain to rise after 509 days in the darkness
- 10 The secret of replacing those cherished hugs that mean so much
This is a long-standing family relationship as Tom's father Peter was a rider for David's father Martin.
Tom showed his familiar strength in a finish on Martinhal in the first race on the card and then had an impressive win on Brinkley in the Cheltenham qualifying Pertemps Network Handicap hurdle.
David is one of the most genial and well-liked characters in National Hunt Racing and after a difficult couple of seasons, is having a much better time of it in 2020 /2021 and many racing fans are delighted with this turnaround.
Racing resumes in the South West on Saturday with a competitive card at Wincanton.
Exeter returns on Tuesday, February 26, with its feature race being the Devon Grand National.