Devon League cricket season to resume
- Credit: Archant
Devon League cricket to resume with a shortened campaign
LOCAL DERBIES will be the feature of a shortened Devon cricket league season over the next two months.
Friendly cricket finally resumed last weekend throughout the area, with clubs, players and spectators observing new Covid-19 guidelines on and off the pitch.
Included was sanitising the ball and the players sanitising their hands every six overs. There were also no teas, a tradition of the game, and no showers.
A shortened eague campaign, with points but no promotion or relegation, is due to start on Saturday week, July 25.
To minimise travelling, four-strong 'round-robin' groups will play home and away over six weekends, with the winners progressing to semi-finals and finals.
The groups will also reflect divisional levels, so Torquay, Paignton, Bovey Tracey and Abbotskerswell are in line for one 'bubble'.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 3 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 4 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 5 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 6 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 7 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 8 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 9 Absolutely ridiculous and selfish
- 10 Chance to have your say on power giants' massive investment plans
Old rivals Barton, Brixham, Babbacombe, South Devon, Stoke Gabriel, plus other clubs in the area and some 2nd XIs will all be involved.