Paignton under pressure to beat Cornwood
- Credit: Archant
The pressure is on for Paignton to beat Premier West leaders Cornwood at Queen's Park on Saturday if they want to progress to the KO stages of the Devon Cricket League.
They will need to avenge an opening day defeat at Cornwood and turn round last weekend's 31-run loss to Plymouth, where bowlers Luke Medlock (4-12) and Connor Ashworth (3-38) helped to dismiss the opposition for 202.
But that target proved too much and Paignton were bowled out for 171 (George Allen 37, Archie Farkins 25).
Bovey Tracey are gaining momentum in Premier Central, and they should follow up a 155-run thumping of Exeter when they meet Cullompton at home on Saturday.
Barton and Torquay enjoyed emphatic wins in South Tier One. Adam Parker's 60 and 41 from Chris Penner led Barton to 231-8, before Morgan Harford (4-42) and Matt Needham (4-37) dismissed Bovey 2nds for 197.
Abbotskerswell's 166 - Chris Kelmere took 4-24, Tom Drake 3-15 - was always within reach for Torquay and, after Kelmere's 55, opener Tim Western (59no) and Drake (36no) knocked off the runs for three wickets with nearly six overs to spare.
Torquay host Bovey and Barton travel to Abbots this Saturday.
- 1 Charlton await United - if Gulls can win FA Cup replay
- 2 Johnson on FA Cup result: 'Havant deserved something out of game'
- 3 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 4 Picture special: Torbay buses
- 5 'Mixed' bag for Torbay teams as basketball season opens
- 6 Retro Sport with Roger Mann: An ambition which money just can't buy!
- 7 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 8 A harvest of hope at Pollinator Patch
- 9 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 10 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
The individual star of last weekend was Shaldon Optimists' Sean McKenna. After scoring 77 against Stoke Gabriel the previous week, McKenna went to town on Paignton 2nd XI's South Three attack - his 205 came off 134 balls and included 24 fours and 11 sixes!
Shaldon totalled 350-4 off their 40 overs and won by 111 runs despite Steven George's 87 for Paignton.
Other results: South Two - Chudleigh 184 bt Ipplepen 141 (N. Hancock 61) by 43runs, Dartington/Totnes 247-5 (Jon Colegate 93no) beat Brixham 147 by 100 runs; South Three - Ashburton 163 lost to Stoke Gabriel 165-5 (Seb Ansley 57, Jack Tolley 50) by five wkts.
South Four - Babbacombe 185-9 (Tim Goodwin 55, Oliver Holroyd 5-33) beat Ipplepen II 174-8 (Will Castleton 69no) by 11 runs, South Devon 252-4 (Matt Beasant 103no, Jonty Tupman 58) beat Chelston/Kingskerswell 124 (Kalen Warne 6-30) by 128runs; South Five - Abbots II 248-9 beat Torquay II 168 by 80runs, Barton II 147-2 (A. Pugh 61no) beat Bovey III 146 by one run; South Eight - St Marychurch OBs 190-6 (R Molloy 90) beat Babbacombe II 160 (R Biddles 52; S Myers 4-47) by 30runs, Stokeinteignhead 192-7 beat Stoke Gabriel II 143-9 by 49runs.