Defeat may have cost Pens division championship and promotion
- Credit: Harry Trump/Pinnacle
It was billed as a 'title decider' between two in-form teams but it turned into a day to forget for Ipplepen as they crashed to a nine-wicket defeat at Thorverton which may have cost them not only the Devon League B Division championship but promotion too.
Starting the day as leaders, Pens were skittled out for 69 and are down to fourth place ahead of a short trip to Chudleigh (5th) this weekend.
Cancellations again cut into last Saturday's programme - Paignton's Premier Division match at Sidmouth, the top-of-the-table clash between Sandford and Tiverton Heathcoat and A Division Barton's key fixture at leaders Bradninch were all casualties.
And there are more rumblings about the apparent readiness of some clubs to call off games in the name of 'Covid'.
But Bovey Tracey's impressive surge - they're up to third in the Premier - continued with an eight-wicket win over Exmouth, which pushed the once-powerful East Devon side closer to relegation.
Kesh Wijerathne took 4-17 to set up Torquay's six-wicket win over Cullompton in the A Division, where Abbotskerswell skipper Nick Watkin took 4-16 in his side's 46-run win over Budleigh Salterton.
Even with only one promotion place available, it's all still to play for in C Division West with two games left.
- 1 £1million grants to give Bay new housing boost
- 2 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 3 Underdog mindset for the Gulls
- 4 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 5 Ticket price offer for Torquay United's FA Cup tie
- 6 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
- 7 MP Anthony Mangnall: I've a new-found appreciation for hard work of our fishermen
- 8 Turning our season around
- 9 Aldi, KFC and Costa Coffee plan approved for 'Gateway to Torquay'
- 10 Stoppage-time goal books Torquay United under-18s a place in FA Youth Cup first round
Leaders Bridestowe survived a major scare (202-5 to 202-8) before chasing down 226 to beat Teignmouth and Shaldon by two wickets with eight balls to spare.
A busy weekend for Stoke Gabriel saw them beat Brixham by 81 runs in the league and lose the Devon Corinthian Cup to Plymouth 2nds by four runs.
Andrew Kingdon's patient 57 anchored Stoke to 178-9 before Dave Bullock (4-17) and Isaac Withington (4-24) were too good for Brixham with the ball.
Bridestowe (15.82 ave) lead from Stoke (15.11), Paignton 2nds and Ashburton (both 14.36).
Fixtures this Saturday include Premier - Bovey Tracey v Tiverton Heathcoat, Exeter v Paignton; A - Torquay v Tavistock, Barton v Plympton, Abbotskerswell v Seaton; B - Chudleigh v Ipplepen, Heathcoat II v Bovey II; C West - Paignton II v Plymouth II, Teignmouth/Shaldon v Brixham, Hatherleigh II v Stoke Gabriel, Bridestowe v South Devon, Ashburton v Cornwood II; D West - Ipplepen II v Abbotskerswell II, Chelston/Kingskerswell v Yelverton, Plymstock II v Barton II, Whitchurch v Babbacombe.