First defeat of season costs Paignton their place at top of league
- Credit: Josh Thomas
Paignton are on a 'bounce-back' mission this Saturday, away to new leaders Sandford, after their first defeat of the Devon Cricket League season to Bovey Tracey cost them their own place at the top of the Premier Division.
The spotlight is on Paignton's batting - which reeled at 47-6 in pursuit of Bovey's 269 as the sun finally beamed down and captains actually opted to bat after damp weeks of putting the opposition in.
Only Sehan Weerasinghe (41) and skipper George Benton (26) hauled them up to 132 all out.
That duo had also sustained Paignton's bowling, Weerasinghe taking 3-23 and Benton 3-58 as Bovey discovered some overdue form, thanks to Max Romer-Lee (52), Kriston Yearwood (55no) and another 'anchor' 48 from their captain Lewis Hammett.
Sandford are in form after beating Sidmouth by 56 runs, and they now lead with 66pts, from Tiverton Heathcoat and Paignton 56 and Bovey fourth on 52.
Barton have a smile back on their faces after a first win of the A Division season.
Jon Martin, Stuart Bowker, Morgan Harford and Darren Cowley shared the wickets as they skittled Cullompton for 92.
- 1 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 2 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 3 Torquay company gets Twitter boost from Theo Paphitis
- 4 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 5 'Passionate and privileged' - that's Hospice at Home team member Donna
- 6 Typical mistakes you should avoid when selling your home
- 7 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 8 Local rescues are your first port of call for kittens
- 9 The Brit Awards and gender: A shift in attitude or just for show?
- 10 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
Barton were back on the M5 early after Matt Lipton's 59, 52 of them in boundaries, carried them home by nine wickets.
Torquay left themselves with 237 to chase at North Devon - Sri Lankan all-rounder Kesh Wijerathne took 2-51 on his debut.
They made a fist of it - Tom Drake hit 83 and Tim Western 37, but finished on 205-8, 31 short.
Abbotskerswell must have fancied themselves after posting 221-5 against Bradninch, with half-centuries for skipper Nick Watkin (62) and Ian Jarman (51).
But an unbeaten century by opener Gary Chappell (122no) carried the visitors home by six wickets with more than five overs to spare.
Other league fixtures for local clubs include: Premier Division - Bovey Tracey v Hatherleigh; B Division - Tiverton Heathcoat II v Ipplepen, Chudleigh v Bovey Tracey II, Plymstock v Dartington and Totnes; C West - Ashburton v Bridestowe, Hatherleigh II v South Devon, Paignton II v Brixham, Teignmouth & Shaldon v Plymouth II, Stoke Gabriel v Cornwood II; D West - Ipplepen II v Barton II, Abbotskerswell II v Babbacombe, Chelston and Kingskerswell v Kingsbridge.