Veteran cyclist beats Covid to win twice in five days
- Credit: Submitted
Paignton's veteran racer Conrad Moss expects to go faster in the next few weeks after recovering from a bout of Covid-19 to record two victories in the space of five days.
Moss, 46, won the Alltrax 10-mile Time Trial and Mid-Devon CC's WAJ Best Memorial '25', both on the A38 at Buckfastleigh, in 19mins 22secs and 48.47 respectively.
Breezy conditions meant that most riders were down on times over the same course recently, and Primera-TeamJobs rider Moss said: "My breathing also wasn't quite right over the last few miles, and that's a vestige of the virus.
"I'm just happy to be back racing."
Moss beat in-form Mid-Devon man Don Brooks from Teignmouth by 35 seconds in the Alltrax '10'.
Not much seems to halt the progress of talented Mid-Devon teenagers Harry Jukes, Callum Start and James Pearcy, all 17.
Jukes finished fourth overall and first junior in 20.07 in the '10', Start recording a personal-best by 16 seconds (20.24) in sixth place.
- 1 Nightmare on Torwood Street continues...
- 2 Are you running on E10 and is it feeling any different?
- 3 Busy weekend for South Devon AC runners
- 4 The Spanish are beaten on their field of stones
- 5 Spirited draw for the Gulls
- 6 Torbay AAC trio tackle Saints' Way Challenge
- 7 Paignton Bowling Club win Mid Devon League Cup
- 8 Seafront switch on for a brighter and lighter future
- 9 Picture special: Torbay beauty spots
- 10 Chesterfield 2 Torquay United 2
Start followed that effort with another big PB in the '25', eighth overall in 53.36, with Pearcy cutting half-a-minute off his previous best in 54.24.
Clubmate Maria Weymouth (24.57) was 2nd Lady behind Exeter's Natalie Grinczer (MAS Racing) in 22.14.
Other local '10' times: 9 Max Churchill 20.44, 10 James Pearcy 20.50, 13 Harry Loader 20.57, 10 Tim Heal 21.34, 21 Mark Sanders 21.37, 23 Reuben Heal 21.42, Maria Weymouth (2nd Lady) 24.57.
Mid-Devon '25': 4 Max Churchill 52.23 PB, 6 Lee Sanderson 52.52, 15 Harry Loader 54.25, Mark Sanders 54.37.