Everyone raring to go with cricket league set for full season
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
More than 2,000 players, umpires, scorers, tea ladies and support staff are poised to throw themselves into the 2021Tolchards Devon Cricket League season which opens on Saturday.
The Covid-ruined 2020 campaign was restricted to a six-week late summer tournament, with no promotion or relegation, so everyone is raring to go for a full season.
The reigning Premier Division champions are still 2019 winners Tiverton Heathcoat, who open at home to Sidmouth.
Paignton are set on challenging for a long-awaited title at Queen's Park.
Although they have lost former League Young Player of the Year Dan Wolf - he's moved to Essex - they have just picked up two useful looking additions in batsman Sam Robbins and opening bowler Sean Kirk, who have both moved to the area from Lancashire.
No division will be contested more fiercely than the 'A', where Abbotskerswell, Barton and Torquay all have their eyes on promotion, while the C Division West is packed with South Devon local derbies.
The first-day fixtures for our clubs are:
- 1 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 2 United heading into the future
- 3 Torquay United 0 Argyle 3
- 4 Money talks in professional football - but it can't buy success
- 5 No packed lunches but six weeks of bad weather!
- 6 Praise for Sonny after he plays key role in senior debut for Somerset
- 7 £900,000 state-of-art gym signals start of new era at RIC
- 8 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 9 Princess curtain to rise after 509 days in the darkness
- 10 The secret of replacing those cherished hugs that mean so much
Premier - Hatherleigh v Paignton, Cornwood v Bovey Tracey; A Division - Abbotskerswell v Torquay, Barton v Tavistock; B - Bovey II v Kilmington, Chudleigh v Heathcoat II, Ipplepen v Dartington & Totnes; C West - Brixham v South Devon, Ashburton v Stoke Gabriel, Paignton II v Teignmouth & Shaldon.
D West - Yelverton v Barton II, Plymstock v Ipplepen II, Kingsbridge v Babbacombe, Whitchurch v Abbotskerswell II, Plympton v Chelston & Kingskerswell; ; E West - Barton III v Kenn, Lewdown v Lustleigh; F West - Teignmouth/Shaldon II v Ashburton II, Torquay II v Chudleigh II, Babbacombe II v Hatherleigh II, South Devon II v Ipplepen III, Paignton III v Kingsbridge II; G West - Stoke Gabriel II v Stokeinteignhead, Chelston/Kingskerswell II v Whitchurch II, South Brent v Bovey IV, Dartington/Totnes II v Yelverton II; H West - Ivybridge III v Paignton IV, Babbacombe III v Plymstock III, Plymouth CS/Roborough v St Marychurch OB, Teignmouth/Shaldon III v Cornwood IV.