Cricket clubs talk of rearranging postponed matches
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
With rain ruining the Tolchards Devon Cricket League for a second successive weekend, the idea of rearranging postponed matches is already being 'floated'.
Sidmouth captain Luke Bess - after three Saturdays his club have yet to complete any of their fixtures - was the first to suggest finding new dates later in the season for weather-hit games.
He says it came out of a chat among his players as the rain kept them in the pavilion against Cornwood last weekend, and one of two other captains have tentatively backed the idea.
It's never been done before, and it may prove too difficult to put into action, certainly this season.
The sun must surely come out soon, and early Premier pacesetters Paignton (43pts) have made the most of their chances so far.
They take a nine-point lead into their game against Cornwood at Queen's Park this Saturday.
Second-placed Exmouth (34) are away to Tiverton Heathcoat, Sandford (26) entertain Hatherleigh and Bovey Tracey (25) are away to Plymouth.
- 1 Wrong red for Wrexham
- 2 FA Cup defeat creates two-week break for Gulls
- 3 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 4 Casting announced for The Osmonds: A New Musical at Princess Theatre
- 5 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 6 Kelly’s 100 miles for Breast Cancer awareness
- 7 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 8 Torquay United gaffer and players give Community Day a 'big thumbs up'
- 9 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 10 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
Even fewer games were completed last weekend than seven days before, with the A Division derby between Barton and Torquay one of the casualties.
Plympton (34) lead there, with second-placed Torquay (33) home to Budleigh Salterton.
Barton are away to Seaton and Abbotskerswell travel to North Devon.
B Division leaders Chudleigh make the short trip to Dartington and Totnes.
Other fixtures for local clubs include: B Division - Plymstock v Ipplepen, Bovey Tracey II v Ivybridge; C West - Cornwood v Paignton II, Hatherleigh v Teignmouth and Shaldon, Stoke Gabriel v Plymouth II, Brixham v Bridestowe, South Devon v Ashburton; D West - Barton II v Whitchurch, Babbacombe v Plympton II, Ipplepen II v Chelston & Kingskerswell, Abbotskerswell II v Kingsbridge.