Cricket clubs talk of rearranging postponed matches
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
With rain ruining the Tolchards Devon Cricket League for a second successive weekend, the idea of rearranging postponed matches is already being 'floated'.
Sidmouth captain Luke Bess - after three Saturdays his club have yet to complete any of their fixtures - was the first to suggest finding new dates later in the season for weather-hit games.
He says it came out of a chat among his players as the rain kept them in the pavilion against Cornwood last weekend, and one of two other captains have tentatively backed the idea.
It's never been done before, and it may prove too difficult to put into action, certainly this season.
The sun must surely come out soon, and early Premier pacesetters Paignton (43pts) have made the most of their chances so far.
They take a nine-point lead into their game against Cornwood at Queen's Park this Saturday.
Second-placed Exmouth (34) are away to Tiverton Heathcoat, Sandford (26) entertain Hatherleigh and Bovey Tracey (25) are away to Plymouth.
- 1 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 2 Torquay company gets Twitter boost from Theo Paphitis
- 3 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 4 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 5 'Passionate and privileged' - that's Hospice at Home team member Donna
- 6 Typical mistakes you should avoid when selling your home
- 7 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 8 Local rescues are your first port of call for kittens
- 9 The Brit Awards and gender: A shift in attitude or just for show?
- 10 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
Even fewer games were completed last weekend than seven days before, with the A Division derby between Barton and Torquay one of the casualties.
Plympton (34) lead there, with second-placed Torquay (33) home to Budleigh Salterton.
Barton are away to Seaton and Abbotskerswell travel to North Devon.
B Division leaders Chudleigh make the short trip to Dartington and Totnes.
Other fixtures for local clubs include: B Division - Plymstock v Ipplepen, Bovey Tracey II v Ivybridge; C West - Cornwood v Paignton II, Hatherleigh v Teignmouth and Shaldon, Stoke Gabriel v Plymouth II, Brixham v Bridestowe, South Devon v Ashburton; D West - Barton II v Whitchurch, Babbacombe v Plympton II, Ipplepen II v Chelston & Kingskerswell, Abbotskerswell II v Kingsbridge.