Now-or-never time as clubs head into final three games of season
- Credit: Cameron Geran/PPAUK
The weather - not Covid-19 for once - ruined most of last weekend's programme, so it's now-or-never time for several of our clubs as the Tolchards Devon Cricket League heads into the final three games of the season.
Paignton's Premier Division chance may have gone - all eyes are on Sandford (second) v Tiverton Heathcoat (first) there this Saturday.
But Barton (A Division), Ipplepen (B) and a clutch of C West sides all put their credentials on the line in must-win matches.
Only two Premier games survived last weekend - Exmouth beat Exeter on Saturday and Bovey Tracey banished any lingering relegation fears with an important win over Hatherleigh in a rearranged Sunday match.
Sidmouth v Paignton and Bovey v Exmouth are now mid-table affairs this Saturday.
A Division promotion outsiders Barton travel to leaders Bradninch wanting at least to make a point and also extend their run of eight wins in ten games.
Torquay will be disappointed if they don't beat Cullompton at the Rec'.
- 1 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 2 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 3 New loan signing for United
- 4 Torbay Business Forum pair nominated for national awards
- 5 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 6 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 7 Cricket: All-rounder Craig Eaves returns to Brixham with eye on overdue promotion
- 8 Torbay builders merchant calling out to charities
- 9 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 10 Big Cup night for the Gulls
There'll be a few nerves at Thorverton's Station Road ground where B Division leaders Ipplepen have a fraction of a point in hand over the hosts - 16.11 over 16.08!
The one game which was completed in that division saw Dartington and Totnes' remarkable revival continue with a 60-run victory over Plymstock, their fourth successive win.
A fourth-wicket stand of 79 between Josh Orrell (64) and Chris Cook (41) led Darts to 151-7, before Jon Colegate's 4-13 (7ovs) set Pymstock tumbling to 91ao.
Paignton 2nds (191-6 - Mark Orchard 75) beat Brixham (111 - Tom Blundell 3-15, Rory Medlock 3-19) in C West, and there are another set of intriguing games at the top of that tight division this weekend.
Fixtures for local clubs this Saturday include: Premier - Sidmouth v Paignton, Bovey Tracey v Exmouth, A - Torquay v Cullompton, Bradninch v Barton, Budleigh Salterton v Abbotskerswell; B - Thorverton v Ipplepen, Chudleigh v Bideford, Kilmington v Dartington/Totnes; C West - Paignton II v Ashburton, Stoke Gabriel v Brixham, South Devon v Cornwood II, Teignmouth/Shaldon v Bridestowe; D West - Ipplepen II v Kingsbridge, Abbotskerswell II v Yelverton, Barton II v Babbacombe, Chelston/Kingskerswell v Plymstock II.