Clubs aiming for glory in cup tournaments' semi-finals
- Credit: AL MACPHEE
This weekend, 16 clubs will compete in the semi-finals of the Torbay Clearance Services SDFL divisional cup tournaments with the remaining group stage matches to be settled over the course of this week.
The Windmill FC will almost certainly play Meadowbrook Athletic in the semi-final of the Building Company Premier Division Cup. They need just a point from their final two group games, both against Barton Athletic while Brook just need to avoid a heavy defeat at home to Ipplepen Athletic on Wednesday.
The other semi-final will see either Watts Blake Bearne or Newton Abbot '66 host East Allington United.
With WBB benefiting from a home walkover against Plympton Athletic Reserves, the Sixes need a big win at Abbrook Park on Thursday if they are to make it through. They will be buoyed by their emphatic 10-0 hammering of Plympton at Lee Moor last Saturday.
Galmpton United will host Beesands Rovers in the semi-finals of the Francis Clark Division One Cup while Ashburton welcome Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves.
Newton Rovers' strong finish in Saturday's Bettesworths Estate Agents Division Two cup game at home to Dittisham United puts them in pole position for a trip to Ilsington Villa in the semis. Curtis Bond scored twice and there were goals from Nigel Vass, Kyle Willoughby and substitute Jake Cogavin as Rovers beat the Plums 5-1, Bradley Williams with the visitors' consolation.
Dittisham have to win both Tuesday's rematch and their final game away at Ipplepen Athletic Reserves to have any chance of taking Rovers' place.
- 1 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 2 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 3 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 4 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 5 Torquay United penalty order...just in case
- 6 Concentration the key for Torquay United
- 7 Tributes paid to village character Leebo who will be missed by many - but not perhaps some marauding football fans!
- 8 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 9 Congratulations from Clarke
- 10 So much at stake for Torquay United
Pens host Babbacombe Corinthians in the other semi-final. Watcombe Wanderers Reserves and Bishopsteignton United were already out but contested an entertaining game at Long Lane last Saturday. Matthew Hill scored twice for the Greens who edged the contest 5-4.
Watts Blake Bearne Reserves cemented their place at the top of Group C of the Coast and Country Division Three cup with a home victory over Newton Abbot '66 Reserves on Saturday.
Despite resting nine players, WBB were impressive from the start, scoring three times in five minutes to put themselves three up 11 minutes in. The Sixes steadied the ship after that, pulling a goal back after 20 minutes, but eventually lost out 6-3.
The Claymen will travel to Totnes and Dartington Reserves for their semi-final while group runners-up Liverton United Reserves are away to Brixham Town.