Club anglers enjoy a successful week on the water
- Credit: John Sherlock
After the exertions of the big competitions over the last couple of weeks, it is good to see some pleasure and club anglers out and about catching some nice fish.
Daniel Patrick made an early start targeting Golden Grey Mullet and found fish up to 1.1lbs, Kyle Blackmore travelled East to one of the shingle beaches searching for Sole, finding fish up to about 2lbs. Jason Upham of Brixham SAC fished a local rock mark, finding Bull Huss of 10lbs 2oz and 9lbs15oz.
The charter boats are finding plenty of Pollack and Bass on the wrecks, whilst the inshore fishing has really picked up with some nice Rays and Black Bream being caught. Lewis Hodder took a group out on his boat Pegasus from Lyme Regis with an angler known only as Barry landing a superb Small Eyed Ray of 11lbs.
Members of Honiton SAC have had a busy week with their monthly shore competition being fished on Brixham Breakwater. The winner on the day was Tom Travers with a winning percentage of 219%. Si Trim and Phil Abbot occupied the next two places, with Si taking the best fish of the day a surprise Cuckoo Wrasse.
Some members also went afloat for their monthly trip aboard Sambi and Orca out of Beer with plenty of Bream, Congers and Rays being caught. Archie Sweetland topped a great day with a Blonde Ray of 18lbs. They also finished the week off with a win over eight other clubs in the inter club Westward Festival, a team competition fished from both boat and shore.
Kennick Flyfishers fished the latest round of the Snowbee Top Rod competition at Blagdon reservoir with 15 anglers catching 39 fish. The honours went to Darren Penfold of Liverton with six fish for a weight of 17lbs 12oz, Alex Venn and Mike Stone took the next two places. Alex Venn had the best Rainbow Trout of 3lbs 12oz. A few Pike were also caught with the best fish weighing around 20lbs falling to the rod of Gerry Scutt.
I had an interesting week catching plenty of Bream and Congers out of both Beer and Lyme Regis but for a change, I decided to dust off my fly-fishing gear and took a trip to the beautiful Tavistock Fly Fishery where I landed four Rainbow trout with the best tipping the scales at a shade over 5lbs.
- 1 £1million grants to give Bay new housing boost
- 2 Underdog mindset for the Gulls
- 3 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 4 Turning our season around
- 5 Aldi, KFC and Costa Coffee plan approved for 'Gateway to Torquay'
- 6 Ticket price offer for Torquay United's FA Cup tie
- 7 MP Anthony Mangnall: I've a new-found appreciation for hard work of our fishermen
- 8 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
- 9 Bridleway takes you to Agatha Christie's 'loveliest place in the world'
- 10 Blooming marvellous Torbay winners
Please send your reports and photo’s to firstname.lastname@example.org for entry in our fish pf the month competition which is kindly sponsored by Sidewinder Lures and Newbarn Angling Centre.