Class of 2020 aim to avenge one of Gulls’ most frustrating FA Cup defeats
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
Torquay United have a chance to avenge one of their most frustrating FA Cup defeats when they meet League Two Crawley Town at Plainmoor in this season’s First Round Proper.
It was Crawley who beat the Gulls 1-0 here in a feisty Fourth Round game in January 2011, to earn a dream tie against Manchester United in Round Five.
This time it’s not former Crawley bosses Steve Evans and Paul Raynor, the managerial duo that Gulls fans loved to hate in those days, involved.
But it’s a big chance for Gary Johnson’s Class of 2020 to upset a Crawley side now managed by former Exeter City assistant John Yems, and reach the Second Round for the first time since they did it under Martin Ling nine years ago.
The tie will be played at Plainmoor on Saturday week, November 7, but still behind closed doors.
After last Saturday’s 2-0 win at Sholing earned the Gulls £9,375 in prize money, just over £22,000 will be at stake against Crawley.
Other ties include Exeter City v AFC Fylde, Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle, Bromley v Yeovil Town, Walsall v Bristol Rovers and an all-League One clash between Ipswich Town and Portsmouth at Portman Road.
- 1 Hilton opens its doors - with a little help from Bert & Buoy and a Riviera palm tree
- 2 500,000 meals and still going strong
- 3 Relentless from Torquay United
- 4 Four to battle in Bay by-election
- 5 Torbay has it all - and we all have a part to play in tourism future
- 6 Joelene to lead special police scrutiny panel
- 7 Absolutely ridiculous and selfish
- 8 TW Predicta April 22
- 9 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 10 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft