Class of 2020 aim to avenge one of Gulls’ most frustrating FA Cup defeats
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
Torquay United have a chance to avenge one of their most frustrating FA Cup defeats when they meet League Two Crawley Town at Plainmoor in this season’s First Round Proper.
It was Crawley who beat the Gulls 1-0 here in a feisty Fourth Round game in January 2011, to earn a dream tie against Manchester United in Round Five.
This time it’s not former Crawley bosses Steve Evans and Paul Raynor, the managerial duo that Gulls fans loved to hate in those days, involved.
But it’s a big chance for Gary Johnson’s Class of 2020 to upset a Crawley side now managed by former Exeter City assistant John Yems, and reach the Second Round for the first time since they did it under Martin Ling nine years ago.
The tie will be played at Plainmoor on Saturday week, November 7, but still behind closed doors.
After last Saturday’s 2-0 win at Sholing earned the Gulls £9,375 in prize money, just over £22,000 will be at stake against Crawley.
Other ties include Exeter City v AFC Fylde, Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle, Bromley v Yeovil Town, Walsall v Bristol Rovers and an all-League One clash between Ipswich Town and Portsmouth at Portman Road.
- 1 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 2 United heading into the future
- 3 Torquay United 0 Argyle 3
- 4 Money talks in professional football - but it can't buy success
- 5 No packed lunches but six weeks of bad weather!
- 6 Praise for Sonny after he plays key role in senior debut for Somerset
- 7 £900,000 state-of-art gym signals start of new era at RIC
- 8 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 9 Princess curtain to rise after 509 days in the darkness
- 10 The secret of replacing those cherished hugs that mean so much