Class of 2020 aim to avenge one of Gulls’ most frustrating FA Cup defeats
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
Torquay United have a chance to avenge one of their most frustrating FA Cup defeats when they meet League Two Crawley Town at Plainmoor in this season’s First Round Proper.
It was Crawley who beat the Gulls 1-0 here in a feisty Fourth Round game in January 2011, to earn a dream tie against Manchester United in Round Five.
This time it’s not former Crawley bosses Steve Evans and Paul Raynor, the managerial duo that Gulls fans loved to hate in those days, involved.
But it’s a big chance for Gary Johnson’s Class of 2020 to upset a Crawley side now managed by former Exeter City assistant John Yems, and reach the Second Round for the first time since they did it under Martin Ling nine years ago.
The tie will be played at Plainmoor on Saturday week, November 7, but still behind closed doors.
After last Saturday’s 2-0 win at Sholing earned the Gulls £9,375 in prize money, just over £22,000 will be at stake against Crawley.
Other ties include Exeter City v AFC Fylde, Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle, Bromley v Yeovil Town, Walsall v Bristol Rovers and an all-League One clash between Ipswich Town and Portsmouth at Portman Road.
- 1 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 2 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 3 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 4 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 5 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 6 Norrms McNamara: All care staff need to be trained in dementia
- 7 All go at Rotary club with new president, vaccines, golf and a chicken run!
- 8 Indoor bowls: 'A' team win all four rinks
- 9 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 10 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships