Charity for disabled sailors launches £25,000 appeal
- Credit: Dart Sailability
Charity Dart Sailability which provides boating activities for people with a wide range of disabilities has launched a £25,000 appeal to fund a move to a new 'home' - and it has already raised £15,000 in the first week.
Berthing costs and a change in access arrangements will see it move from Noss on Dart Marina to MDL Marinas on Dartside Quay after 23 years.
The charity says it is extremely grateful to all recent owners of Noss on Dart Marina for free berthing and services without which it could not have survived since 1997 during which time it has delivered more than 10,000 sailing days to 600 disabled sailors.
The charity’s sailing and boating activities take place only between May and September.
Relocation costs include over £10,000 for a ramp and pontoon so disabled sailors can access boats safely, the renovation of a Portakabin which will become a club house (£6,500), dinghy trollies (£1,100), generator (£850), hoist (£300), clubhouse furniture (£750) and other significant moving costs including fuel tanks, tools, transport and ground works. In addition, it costs about £20,000 to keep the charity afloat annually.
Principal Ian Wakeling says: “Our sailors and volunteers get so much out of their sailing and activities and it is crucial that we deliver a really good summer programme of events. There is absolutely no doubt that our sailors’ mental and physical wellbeing and enjoyment are greatly enhanced by being out on the water and the freedom that sailing on the beautiful River Dart gives."
He added: "Obviously times are very tough at the moment, but we would really appreciate it if people could support this very worthy cause."
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 3 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 4 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 5 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 6 Chance to have your say on power giants' massive investment plans
- 7 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 8 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 9 500,000 meals and still going strong
- 10 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
It is hoped that operations can start as soon as possible.
The charity said a massive thank you after donations topped a whopping £15,000 in just one week!
Trustee Mike Pleass says: “We are truly grateful for the huge amount of support it has received."
Donations can be made in the following ways:
BACS – The Dart Sailability Group, Account 00013526, Sort Code 40-52-40
Cheques payable to The Dart Sailability Group, c/o MDL, Dartside Quay, Galmpton, Brixham, Devon TQ5 OEH On line at www.dartsailability.org and https://cafdonate.cafonline.org/16225
On line at www.dartsailability.org