Brixham celebrates best-ever results in junior gig rowing championships
- Credit: Submitted
Younger members of Brixham Gig Rowing Club travelled to Hayle, Cornwall, to compete in the Cornish Pilot Gig Rowing Junior Championships.
Two mixed crews of boys and girls were fielded, taking part in the under-14 and under-15 events.
Clubs travelled from all around Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly to take part in August 22's major event.
It was a very hot day, with crews having to row in several heats, over a straight, sprint-type course.
Racing was extremely competitive with many a close finish.
Both Brixham crews contained rowers who haven’t been rowing too long, with many taking part in their first competitive rowing event.
Despite this, both crews performed excellently, with the under-14s finishing second in their final, and the under-15s coming fourth and only just missing out on a place in the final.
- 1 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 2 £1million grants to give Bay new housing boost
- 3 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 4 Ticket price offer for Torquay United's FA Cup tie
- 5 Underdog mindset for the Gulls
- 6 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
- 7 MP Anthony Mangnall: I've a new-found appreciation for hard work of our fishermen
- 8 Turning our season around
- 9 Stoppage-time goal books Torquay United under-18s a place in FA Youth Cup first round
- 10 Bridleway takes you to Agatha Christie's 'loveliest place in the world'
These were Brixham Gig Club's best-ever results in these championships and the crews and coxswains were a credit to themselves, the club and to the town of Brixham.
If anyone would like to have a go at gig rowing, they can leave their contact details on the club website: www.brixhamgigclub.com