Rugby: Fishermen set for one of toughest games of season
- Credit: Paignton RFC/Facebook
There doesn't look to be much wrong with Paignton 1st XV's spirit after they bounced back from adversity to earn a confidence-boosting second home win of the Western Counties West Division season against Tiverton.
The Cherries had been thumped 48-10 by Teignmouth at Bitton Park the week before, and they needed to pick themselves up quickly.
A first-half Ollie Latto try set them on the way and they held on to beat Tivvy 14-10, following up their 16-10 win over Penryn a fortnight before.
SW Premier Brixham are bracing themselves for one of their toughest games of the season, against leaders Exeter University at Astley Park this Saturday.
The Fishermen were sixth going into their trip to lowly Drybrook, but they slipped up 7-20 in Gloucestershire.
The University extended their unbeaten record, only just (28-25) against Bournemouth, but will be formidable opponents this weekend.
Paignton's divisional rivals Teignmouth have always found Penryn tough opposition at their own Recreation Ground and after a series of good wins against Devon rivals, they had to settle for a 24-24 draw in Cornwall.
- 1 Cheers as former player Jim backs United
- 2 Dementia mini mental test - is it fit for purpose?
- 3 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
- 4 Go ahead for climbing attraction at old RICC tennis courts
- 5 Motoring: Fondly looking back at 2021 with some surprising results
- 6 Paignton business expands team and offices to deliver tech offer
- 7 Bowls: Great quarter-final win for Torbay
- 8 Remembering our loved ones this Christmas
- 9 In memory of our loving Emica
- 10 Buckland drawn away in the FA Vase
Shane Wakeham scored Torquay Athletic's try but they suffered their first defeat, 5-19 away to Pirates Amateurs (Penzance), knocking them off the top of Cornwall and Devon Division - 100 per cent Bude are the new leaders there.
But promotion-chasing New Cross got back to winning ways in Devon One with a 40-0 rout of Torrington at Five Lanes, and they remain a point behind leaders Exeter Athletic.
This Saturday's fixtures for local clubs include: SW Premier - Brixham v Exeter University; WCWest - Truro v Paignton, Wadebridge Camels v Newton Abbot, Wiveliscombe v Teignmouth; Cornwall and Devon - Torquay Athletic v Plymstock Albion Oaks; Devon One - Buckfastleigh Ramblers v New Cross, Totnes v Salcombe.