Award for couple who founded Torquay Disabled Sailing Association
- Credit: Archant
The founders of Torquay's Disabled Sailing Association have been presented with an award by the RYA Sailability, a branch of the RYA Association dedicated to encouraging participation in the sport by disabled people.
This award is for someone who, over a considerable period, has shown exceptional commitment and dedication to getting disabled people sailing.
Dave and Shirley Musgrove were congratulated on their outstanding achievement by RYA Sailability manager Joff McGill and board member John Scott at this year's national RYA Sailability awards evening event at Wyboston Lakes, near St Neots, Cambridgeshire.
They were presented with a beautiful trophy in recognition of their service to the sport.
Dave and Shirley Musgrove, both disabled themselves, founded the local Disabled Sailing Association back in 2005 with the express intention of enabling people with a wide range of disabilities to be able to sail in Torbay's beautiful coastal waters.
Through their constant dedication the DSA is now one of the leading disabled sailing associations of its type in the UK.
The DSA has achieved RYA recognition for its RYA (Onshore) course and is affiliated to RYA Sailability as an organisation offering services to the disabled.
- 1 Exeter Chiefs replace Native-American brand with nod to Devon's history
- 2 Can you help free the Rowcroft Six - or shall we let them stay where they are?
- 3 Johnson promised cash to 'build bigger, stronger squad'
- 4 New singers welcome as Torbay Gilbert and Sullivan Society start The Mikado rehearsals
- 5 Hero awards finalist Chris has that spark which makes him extra special!
- 6 From trawler to plate in a day - chef Mitch Tonks bringing Brixham fish straight to customers' doors
- 7 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 8 Lift off for Air Show but what about Red Arrows?
- 9 Teams work round clock to dismantle old railway bridge
- 10 Inside Oldway Mansion and a journey through its history
The DSA has two specially adapted yachts moored in Torquay harbour. Both extensively equipped modern yachts, Freedom (38ft) and Free Spirit (34ft), are usually out on the water from spring to autumn taking people of all disabilities, including those in wheelchairs, for day sails.
Training courses are run for the DSA skippers, mates and crew throughout the winter.
Everyone who helps run the organisation is an unpaid volunteer.
The organisation relies entirely on donations.