Armstrong absent for Dover game
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
Torquay United will have to do without their young loan striker Sinclair Armstrong for Saturday’s home game against Dover Athletic, because the 18-year-old Queen’s Park Rangers starlet is on international duty with the Republic of Ireland.
Armstrong scored twice in Eire’s 3-2 win over Montenegro this week, and he is due to play twice more, against Bosnia-Herzogovina on Saturday and Bulgaria next Tuesday – all the Euro Qualifier matches are being played in Eastern Europe – before returning to Plainmoor.
“We are disappointed not to have him this weekend, but it was something we knew about when Sinclair joined us,” said Gulls manager Gary Johnson. “It’s good that he’s doing so well out there, and we look forward to having him back for Barnet (A) next weekend.”
Johnson also confirmed that winger Alex Addai has left United by mutual consent. “Alex was on a short-term contract, so we had to make a decision and he had to make a decision,” said Johnson.
“He’s got a wife and a mortgage in London, he hasn’t left for any bad reasons, but between us we decided that it was probably best for him to seek a new club.
“We are still friends, we thank him for his efforts with us and we wish him well for the future.“
Former Cheltenham Town winger Addai, 27, made four appearances for Torquay, all off the subs’ bench.
- 1 Gary Johnson: Whatever I may say, I'm a very bad loser
- 2 How we can cope with the Enemy Within
- 3 Tough player decisions ahead as Gaffer tries to build Torquay United squad fit for success
- 4 Top fashion store Maggie & Co closes doors after 48 years - but 'we leave on a high'
- 5 TW Livermead Coffee Girls
- 6 How you can help us win the battle against winter
- 7 Christmas arrives in Torquay thanks to a sparkly wand (and an MP and jeweller)
- 8 Brixham Reserves take the biggest stride forward in South Devon Prem
- 9 Christmas hamper appeal aims to help 120 Torbay families
- 10 Winter fest is back - and so too is Father Christmas