Charter boats have been finding the bass and pollack
- Credit: Archant
John Sherlock with his weekly angling round-up
Beach anglers have been out in force this week with mackerel showing in excellent number and to a good size.
Smoothhounds are still featuring from East Devon, the South Hams and the Bristol Channel.
Bass have once again been plentiful for those who are putting in time searching them out, none more so than Tony White, a dedicated lure angler from Totnes who landed a fine fish of some 6lbs.
Stuart Lawley tried his hand at lure fishing and landed his first bass, small but returned to fight another day.
Brixham angler Shay Upham has shown in recent weeks that he has become a fine angler, following his father Jason Upham catching many fine fish including gilthead bream, golden grey mullet and bass.
His partner Ellen Stockley, not to be outdone, landed smoothhounds to almost 9lbs and a fine mackerel of 1lb 4oz. Phillip Brooks fishes Dawlish and had a good session catching mackerel.
- 1 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 2 Emotional day that revealed close-knit family behind monarchy
- 3 Spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated, and extended
- 4 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 5 Dramatic bovine rescue from Torbay waters
- 6 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 7 National League round-up
- 8 I hope formality is put aside and the Queen is able to grieve for Prince Philip
- 9 All aboard the Land train for lots of fun - and a history lesson or two!
- 10 Queues form at Trago for Re-Open Day
The charter boats have once again had a busy week fishing the wrecks and banks again with Salcombe's Anglo dawn finding some bass. Silver Halo out of Torquay has once again been finding the bass and pollack.
Paignton's Our Joe'l visited the Skerries bank and found some good plaice including a fish of 3lb 8oz for visiting angler Roy Biggs of Croydon. The species league are fishing on Our Joe'l this week, hopefully I will be aboard for that trip and will have something to report next week.
Spring Ponds and Newbarn Farm Fishery are reporting consistent sport again with pellet being the favoured method at Spring Ponds either on a pole or feeder rig.
Carp have been taken both on the surface at Newbarn Fishery with Euro Angling's Ian Ross getting in on the action again with several carp weighing in to the mid teens.
I managed to get out a couple of times this week, firstly on a family trip to Newbarn Farm where plenty of silver and a few small carp were caught and on Sunday I travelled to Minehead to fish on Michael Webber-Griffiths boat Teddie Boy where I had a superb day catching blonde and spotted rays, bull huss, smoothounds and congers.
Tight lines and stay safe.