Angling: Autumn species start to put in appearance
- Credit: Archant
A couple of unseasonal storms seem to have heralded the start of autumn - and some of our winter sea species are starting to put in an appearance among the summer ones.
Many anglers have headed east this week to the steeper shingle beaches including Tom and Steve from Honiton Sea Angling Club, who found several nice Dover sole and Steve Head, a South Devon angler who got among the early cod, landing three including a personal best of 6lb 6oz.
Local angler Steve Harford took a trip to Slapton where he fished with squid bait and was rewarded with his first smoothhound weighing in at around 4lb.
John Davies fished a local estuary with peeler crab bait targeting the gilthead bream and was rewarded with a fine fish of 3lb 8oz. Mackerel and garfish can still be targeted from rock, piers and breakwaters with mullet still around in the estuaries and harbours.
Another Honiton member, John, fished from his own boat in a small window in the weather and managed to find several fine bass.
There appears to be more settled weather on the way so hopefully the charter boats will manage to get out this week.
Newbarn Farm continues to produce plenty of good fish with Paul Baker landing many fine carp up to about 20lb over three days all on surface-fished baits, surely the most fun method of carp fishing. His wife also caught using float fished worm. Work is continuing to make it a better fishery.
- 1 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 2 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 3 New loan signing for United
- 4 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 5 Torbay Business Forum pair nominated for national awards
- 6 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 7 Big Cup night for the Gulls
- 8 Torbay builders merchant calling out to charities
- 9 Torbay Triathlon Club's bumper results amid bumpy weather
- 10 Classic cars undergoing bespoke conversions to electric
Rosie's Pool was drained this week to clear it of rubbish and to check on the fish stocks. The tackle shop continues to improve its stock of tackle and bait.
Spring Pond have had a quieter week but in the gaps in the weather have had many carp landed with fish to 12lb in pond one and 5lb in pond two. Tench have also been showing in pond two also up to 5lbs in weight. Adam Styles fished for the perch and had a great session landing fish up to 3lbs.
The prospects are looking good for the coming weeks in all forms of angling. Thank you to all who are sending me pictures, more are always welcome.
Tight lines and stay safe.