Charter boats target the wrecks
- Credit: Archant
A much better week for the charter boats, Chris Roberts has taken delivery of his new boat Anglo Dawn at Salcombe.
Chris has loads of experience fishing those waters having taken over the original Anglo Dawn from well known skipper Ted Cooke before running a tackle shop.
He had his first trips back out this week targeting the wrecks and finding plenty of fish including cod, pollack and ling. Liam Welsh took a cod of around 7lbs. Conger eels are taking when anchored, including one estimated at around 60lbs to Neil Rowlands. The fish taking half a mackerel.
Matt Forester has also been out on his boat Silver Halo from Torquay, also finding pollack and cod with Lucy Spice landing a cod of around 7lbs and a bass of 3lbs 9oz with Steve Richardson getting among the pollack and cod also.
The beaches are continuing to produce smoothhounds to those who are persistent enough. Unfortunately, the spider crabs are still there and managing to steal baits before the fish can get them.
Steve Arnold, fishing in the South Hams, landed a fish of 7lbs after several blank sessions.
Mackerel are still around although still not being caught in great numbers. Tom Stebbens, Joe Pilbeam and Rob and Dan Carling travelled to the North Devon coast and found the smoothhounds there in good numbers, catching fish from the first cast and only managing to fish one rod each due to the numbers of bites. Dan Carling, on his first trip, landed a fine fish of 12lbs.
- 1 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 2 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 3 Cyclists off to Scotland in support of 'super vet' star
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Sally Allen: When is a woman not a woman?
- 6 Basketball: Torbay Tigers back to winning ways
- 7 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 8 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 9 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 10 Retro Sport: Lottery winner's cricket ambition that money couldn't buy
I ventured to Minehead again fishing aboard Mike Webber-Griffiths' boat Teddie Boy to target tope and smoothhounds on the wettest day of the week. I didn't manage any tope but had some brilliant sport with the smoothhounds, landing many fish up to 13lbs on crab baits and having some fun fishing with a carp rod. One angler on board landed a tope of 52lbs 4oz.
The fishing continues to be consistent at Kennick reservoir with a rod average of four trout. Newbarn Farm Fishery report a good week with all ponds fishing well. The Pearce family spent four nights on the lakes enjoying good sport including a common of 15lbs 11oz. The changes to the tackle shop are coming on nicely with a good range of baits available. Gift vouchers can now be bought.
Tight lines and stay safe.