Anglers out and about everywhere
- Credit: Archant
What a week it's been - anglers have been out everywhere.
Mackerel are being caught all around the Bay, although not always in great numbers, with the evening being the best time to go.
With reports coming in from East Devon and the South Hams that smoothhounds were being caught, anglers have travelled to find these hard fighting fish. Matt Hepper finding them to 8lbs 12oz. Rob Sercombe managed a fine bass from a local beach. Martyn and Karl Monk found plenty of fish in East Devon with the best being a smoothhound of 8lb 5oz and a bass of 4lbs 15oz.
On the boats, Silver Halo has been out again with just a single angler onboard. Peter Mundy caught pollack well into double figures on a wreck 27 miles out from Torquay on brown soft plastic lure.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 3 Hilton opens its doors - with a little help from Bert & Buoy and a Riviera palm tree
- 4 500,000 meals and still going strong
- 5 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 6 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 7 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 8 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 9 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 10 Four to battle in Bay by-election
The carp have finished spawning on all waters now and are feeding well,
Newbarn Farm Fishery regular Bob Wooster landed five fish to 23lbs mainly to surface baits. Spring Ponds at Rocombe are open on a pre-booked basis by calling 07803 752888. Four-year-old Ethan and fishery manager Elliot Fay getting in on the action.
Kennick Flyfishers report the lake is fishing well from the boats.
With restrictions on movement relaxed further, the Angling Trust has announced match angling will resume shortly and an announcement is due imminently on charter boat fishing although some skippers are opening with up to five anglers on the boats to comply with social distancing.
Facebook and The Angling Trusts website will give these details as soon as they are available.
My fishing was better this week, I had a short session at Newbarn Farm and landed several small carp and silvers from the match lake. I also took a trip to Minehead where I fished on Michael Webber-Griffiths' boat Teddie Boy on a single-person charter and between us we landed 42 smoothounds to about 12lbs.
Please keep the reports coming in. Tight lines and stay safe.