Angler Tom braves weather to land superb spotted ray
- Credit: Submitted
Once again it seems only the hardiest of sea anglers have braved the awful conditions again this week with only a couple of fish reported.
Alex Webb of Exmouth fished an evening session on a local beach using frozen black lugworm for bait and was rewarded with an early season bass which, of course, was returned.
Torbay angler Tom Stebbens hit a local rock mark making use of a small window in the weather.
Using double squid bait and targeting bull huss and conger, he was rewarded with several fish, unfortunately losing a big conger on the surface.
The effort was rewarded, however, when he landed a superb spotted ray of nearly 5lbs in weight.
Newbarn Farm continues to produce some stunning fish with the changes to the fishery paying dividends.
The number of pegs on the specimen pond have been reduced from 11 to just eight giving anglers more space and the fishing less pressurised.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 3 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 4 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 5 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 6 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 7 Chance to have your say on power giants' massive investment plans
- 8 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 9 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 10 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
It is advisable to book to fish although if you turn up the other waters on the complex do contain some very nice fish.
Oakley Hunt took the last available swim on Thursday and landed a superb 20lb 2oz common carp.
Caiden Porter has obviously been taking advice from his father, a recent convert to carp fishing and visited Willow Pool for the first time, landing a common carp of 8lbs 7oz.
Craig Needham enjoyed his session with a beautifully marked upper double figure mirror carp.
Matt Skelly, fishery manager, has periodically been targeting perch this winter, a fun species on light tackle, and once again has been outdone by his daughter Summer, who found a fantastic specimen of 2lbs 3oz.
As I write this, we are all eagerly awaiting the Prime Minister's announcement this week of a way out of the current restrictions, hopefully travel will be allowed and other venues can be fished.
It is worth keeping an eye on the Angling Trust website and social media for information. I will, of course, update any regulations next week.
If you do get out and about and would like to see you pictures in print please email them to me on email@example.com or via Messenger.
Stay safe and right lines.