£3,500 boost for Torbay disabled sailors
- Credit: Archant
Members of Torbay's Disabled Sailing Association have been presented with £3,500 after an employee of Exeter-based company nominated the group as a charity worthy of support.
Diane Hayman, marketing manager from Hawksmoor Investment Management, Exeter, presented the cheque on board the DSA yacht Freedom, accompanied by Stephanie Williams, the employee who nominated the Disabled Sailing Association.
Hawksmoor Investment Management, Exeter, choose which charity to support each year from organisations recommended by their own staff. Fortunately for the DSA Stephanie Williams is a volunteer with the DSA, and nominated the association as being worthy of support.
Although DSA patron Sir Chay Blyth was unable to attend, a message was read out on his behalf by Peter Turner, chairman of the DSA: 'Although I am unable to be with you for the presentation of the cheque from Hawksmoor Investment Management I did want to say a few words. Like all of you, I'm delighted that the Exeter office of Hawksmoor Investment Management has chosen the Disabled Sailing Association as their Charity of the Year 2020.
'Their magnificent donation will be used to purchase hi-tech safety equipment which I know means a lot to our members. Our heartfelt thanks to Hawksmoor - you've helped a great cause.
'I look forward to coming down to Torquay, meeting you all, and perhaps getting out on the boats with you. My thanks again to Hawksmoor, and my best wishes to everyone. Chay'
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 3 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 4 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 5 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 6 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 7 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 8 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 9 Herbert Whitley fulfilled earlier vision of a zoo when opening Paignton Zoological and Botanical Gardens
- 10 Chance to have your say on power giants' massive investment plans