Social media silence in drive to end online abuse

Torbay Weekly

The Torbay Clearance Services South Devon Football League joined fellow leagues and clubs across the country in silencing their social media accounts over the bank holiday weekend.

The national campaign was organised by the footballing community as part of a drive to stop online abuse and discrimination against players and others connected to the game.

On the field, Torbay Police picked up their second win in a row to go top of Group A in the Manor Building Company Premier Division Cup. Dan Pagett scored twice for the Bees in a 4-2 victory over Buckfastleigh Rangers.

Oakley Hunt scored for the third game in a row and was joined on the score-sheet by Bobby Chancellor. Steven Sutton scored his third goal of the season for Rangers with substitute James Drew their other goalscorer.

The other Group A game, between Meadowbrook Athletic and Ipplepen Athletic was abandoned early in the second half.

Despite goals from Lewis Andrews and Ross Rice, Plympton Athletic Reserves once again failed to get points on the board in their Group B game against Newton Abbot '66. Gregory Allen, Sean Boldick and George Dodge found the net for the Sixes at Lee Moor as they ran out 3-2 winners.

In Group C, Rhys Walton and Carlton Allen doubled up as The Windmill FC came from behind to beat Salcombe Town at Malborough Playing Fields. Trailing 3-1 at the break, the Plymouth side turned it on in the second half to win the game 6-3, Michael Neal and Tommy Phillips also contributing goals.

East Allington United were also in prolific mood in Group D, beating visiting Elburton Villa Reserves 7-1. There was a blast from the recent past as the Pirates unleashed Simon Hannaford from the bench, the forward scoring twice in ten minutes. Luke Forward also managed a brace with Dan Bowles, Mattias Bodman and Dan Hurrell completing the rout.

Villa had earned themselves a point in midweek though with Alex Photiou netting in a 1-1 draw at Ivybridge Town Reserves.

Sam Massey and Max Prestwood were on target for Galmpton United in Group A of the Francis Clarke Division One Cup as the Greens narrowly beat Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves 2-1 to extend their 100 per cent record to three games; Tom Reeves was on target for the Rams.

Upton Athletic and Chudleigh Athletic, also from Group A, played each other twice in four days, both games taking place at Armada Park. Rui de Garces scored twice and there were goals from Bart Karkau and Kevin Orrell as the Torquay side won the midweek game 4-2. Alistair Chuchuck and Jordan Armstrong responded for Chudleigh.

Chuchuck then scored four times on Saturday as Chudleigh bounced straight back to win 5-3, James Stafford also finding the net. Jamie Lane notched twice for Upton with Jack Rendle their other goalscorer.

In Group B, Ashburton became the first side in any division to guarantee themselves a semi-final place as they defeated Kingskerswell and Chelston 3-1 to leave their opponents all but eliminated. Tom Arnold, Callum Noyce and Jack White put away goals for the Ashes with Ash Beetschen grabbing a consolation.

Beesands Rovers are one win from the knockout stages following their convincing 4-0 victory at Abbotskerswell. Joe Craig scored twice for the Bees with Louis Brace and William Garner also on target.

Unbeaten Ipplepen Athletic Reserves top Group A of the Bettesworths Estate Agents Division Two Cup after racking up two wins in five days. Pens overcame Torquay Town 4-1 at Barton Cricket Club on the Tuesday night before scoring three without reply at home to Newton Rovers on Saturday.

Dittisham United heaped more misery on Torquay Town as they beat them 4-2 at Shinners Meadow.

In Group B, Watcombe Wanderers Reserves and Ilsington Villa contested another closely fought game on Thursday night. After previously drawing 0-0 at Lewthorne Cross, Villa's Matt Warman finally broke the deadlock at Long Lane with the only goal of the game. There was more home disappointment for Watcombe on Saturday as Curtis Marshall's hat-trick helped Babbacombe Corinthians to a 5-1 win. Harry Pavey and Jordan Bradshaw also celebrated goals with Jed Turner scoring for the hosts.

Bishopsteignton United picked up their first win with a 3-1 win over East Allington United Reserves. The Pirates still seek their first victory but did pick up a second point at home to Babbacombe on Easter Monday. Tyler Stevens scored twice for the home side with Sean Coulson and Harry Pavey responding for Corries.

Macauley Dallow dispatched a hat-trick for Brixham Town at Kingsteignton Athletic Thirds as the Torbay side made it four wins out of four in Group A of the Coast and Country Estate Agents Division Three Cup. Doubles from Shaun Langdon and Stuart Pointon and a single Brendan Boddy strike cemented an emphatic 8-0 win.

In Group B, Chudleigh Athletic Thirds' Christian Williams also scored a hat-trick in his side's 5-2 triumph over previously unbeaten Totnes and Dartington Reserves. Spencer Taylor and Jack Lee also found the net for Athletic with Ben Allen and Scott Troth on target for Tots.

Watts Blake Bearne Reserves top Group C after picking up four home points in four days. The Claymen were held 1-1 in a midweek game by Liverton United Reserves with Danny Harry and Ben Towler trading goals.

Goals from Daniel Hagan, Kieran Heale and Mark Perring then saw Wattsies beat Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves 3-1 on Saturday, Kristopher Chapman with a goal back for Corries. Newton Rovers Reserves and Newton Abbot '66 Reserves visited each others' grounds with Rovers completing the double over their neighbours. Connor and Martin Breslan each scored in the midweek game at Bakers Park as Rovers won 2-0. Connor Breslan then added another two goals to his tally and Nathan De'Ath also scored as Rovers won 3-1 at Osborne Park, Joshua Fox with the Sixes' effort.