Police stand firm for victory

Torbay Weekly

Torbay Police came out on top of a thrilling encounter at Ipplepen Athletic but it looks like it might be a case of too little, too late for Tim Perrin's side in Group A of the Manor Building Company Premier Division.

Both sides were depleted coming into the fixture but it was Torbay Police who were the happiest at the interval, Kyall Hazlewood, Oakley Hunt and Bobby Chancellor helping them to a 3-1 lead with Lee Grimshaw scoring for Pens.

The first half had taken its toll though and the visitors emerged for the second half with a makeshift midfield having lost three players to injury.

When Brandon Hext reduced the deficit, it looked as if Ippepen's young side might be able to take a point but the Police stood firm against a late onslaught and held on for the win.

The Bees are still mathematically in the race but they will require other teams to produce an unlikely combination of results to sneak into the semi-finals.

As for Ipplepen, their destiny is a lot clearer. Two wins in their final two games will see them through. Anything else and they will be out. They were due to travel to Buckfastleigh Rangers on Wednesday.

Buckfastleigh are already out after they were held 1-1 by visiting Meadowbrook Athletic. Substitute Sam Johnston scored for Rangers with Myles Chalcraft on target for unbeaten Brook.

With Abbrook Park succumbing to the heavy rain, the only Group B game, between Watts Blake Bearne and Newton Abbot '66 was called off, leaving that group no further forward than the previous weekend.

With their 100 per cent record intact, The Windmill FC look likely to qualify from Group C, especially considering their emphatic 6-0 victory over Barton Athletic on Saturday.

In-form Rhys Walton opened the scoring for the Plymouth side after just eight minutes with the same player doubling up ten minutes later. Tommy Phillips volleyed in a third, three minutes into the second half, before captain Sam Doyle got his name on the score sheet. Walton completed his hat-trick for five before Phillips put the icing on the cake with a superb late strike.

East Allington United had already become the first Premier Division side into a semi-final after winning 4-2 at Elburton Villa Reserves on the Wednesday evening, Finley Bullen with a hat-trick and Dan Bowles also on target for the Pirates. Villa's goals came from Harrison Jones and Thomas Swabey. Elburton and Ivybridge Town Reserves wrapped up the group action on Saturday, the Ivies taking an early lead en route to a 2-0 win at Haye Road.

Goals from Ryan Cossey and Jack Rendle had kept Upton Athletic's qualification hopes alive in Group A of the Francis Clark Division One Cup as the Torquay side beat group leaders Galmpton United 2-1 last Wednesday evening, Samuel Massey scoring for the Greens.

A repeat result at the Galmpton War Memorial Ground on Saturday would see them join Galmpton in the final four but the home side had other ideas, Massey and Oliver Groves on target in a 2-0 home win, a result that sees Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves make it through.

Ashburton and Beesands Rovers, who had both already qualified from Group B, faced off at the Loddiswell Playing Fields. The Ashes made it six wins out of six with Joshua Haycox and Nicholas Skinner netting in a 2-1 victory, Louis Brace with the Bees' goal.

Kingskerswell and Chelston salvaged some pride with an emphatic 5-1 win at Abbotskerswell. Ashley Beetschen, James Horrocks, Frank Major and subs Ash Blackler and Lewis Cooper all celebrated goals.

Two wins in five days saw Ipplepen Athletic Reserves comfortably secure their place in the semi-finals of the Bettesworths Estate Agents Division Two Cup. Pens scored four times at Newton Rovers to win 4-2 and then repeated the feat at Broadhempston United on Saturday, 4-1 the final score at Headlands.

Torquay Town ended their group stage with a 4-1 triumph at Newton Rovers but face a nervy wait to see if Rovers or Dittisham United, who have only played half of their games, can pip them to the Group A runners-up spot.

Things are a lot clearer in Group B with Ilsington Villa and Babbacombe Corinthians, who fought out a 1-1 draw on Saturday, comfortably through.

Corries completed the double over Bishopsteignton United in midweek with a 6-1 win at Michaels Field, Harry Pavey, Curtis Marshall and Ryan Mellish with doubles apiece.

Damien Sobota scored a brace for Brixham Town as they completed their perfect campaign in Group A of the Coast and Country Division Three Cup with a 7-0 hammering of Kingsteignton Athletic Thirds. Brendan Boddy, Shaun Langdon, George Meredith, Josh Piper and substitute Rhys Dallow also contributed goals.

Saturday's rematch between South Brent and Teign Village should be one to watch after the sides battled out an 8-8 draw last weekend. Thomas Beer and Michael Turner each put away hat-tricks for the Quarrymen while Jamie Cudmore hit the net four times for South Brent.

Totnes and Dartington Reserves sealed their semi-final place with a comfortable 3-0 home win over Chudleigh Athletic Thirds in Group B. Kingsbridge and Kellaton United may be out but they signed off in style with a 6-1 win at Torquay Town Reserves at Long Lane.

Watts Blake Bearne Reserves can win Group C if they beat current leaders Liverton United Reserves at Halford on Thursday evening, a week since they put three past Newton Rovers Reserves without reply.

Liverton are in prolific form at the moment though, having beaten Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves 6-0 last Thursday and Rovers 8-1 three days later.