Vulnerable residents advised on healthy diets during pandemic
- Credit: Archant
Shielding residents of Torbay are receiving advice on how to cook and eat healthy food during the pandemic.
The Healthy Lifestyles Team from Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust is working with Torbay Food Alliance and Torbay Council's Shielding Hub to provide dietary advice and healthy recipes for food parcels for vulnerable people shielding at home from coronavirus.
The dietary advice and recipes booklets were produced by the trust's healthy lifestyles team and community dietitians, with support from public health at Torbay Council.
The information is designed to help people in receipt of food parcels to stay well during the pandemic and get the most out of the food parcels being distributed by the Shielding Hub and the Food Alliance.
Andy Simpson, from the healthy lifestyles service, said: 'I think the booklets look fantastic, they have some great advice about eating healthily with the food being distributed by the food banks. The recipes are really simple to make with a few basic ingredients.'
The content includes how to maintain a healthy balanced diet while shielding and has information about how to do this with the contents of a food parcel and ideas on making the most of ingredients at the back of your cupboards.
Recipes include corned beef hash, cottage pie, curry, tuna & pasta bake, pasta bolognaise, chili con carne, chicken casserole, chicken risotto and sausage fried rice.
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 3 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 4 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 7 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 8 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 9 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
Councillor Jackie Stockman, Cabinet member for adults and public health for Torbay Council, said: 'This is a great example of partnership working by Torbay Council's public health team and Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust's healthy lifestyles team, as well as the voluntary sector via the Torbay Food Alliance. The Shielding Hub is helping a lot of people during this difficult time.
'The recipes are all based on what ingredients are in the food parcels and are easy, healthy, balanced and nutritious meals that most people should be able to cook.'
Andy Bichard, community manager for Salvation Army, Torquay, said: 'These booklets are going to make a real difference to our clients who come to us for food provision, by offering nutritious, low-cost recipe ideas.'