Vince to lead way for Devon tourism
- Credit: Submitted
One of Torbay and South Devon's most well-known businessmen and tourism figures has taken up another key role.
Vince Flower has been appointed chairman of the board of Visit Devon destination marketing organisation. He takes over from Rhys Roberts who has been chairman, since 2016.
Vince is the former Managing Director of Shearings Hotels Ltd and is now involved with many organisations in a voluntary capacity, at Chair or Director level.
These roles include chairing Torbay's regeneration company, TDA, Young Devon, Torquay Academy and the Torquay Town Deal Board where he was helped secure funding c£22million for the Torquay Town Deal to drive economic regeneration in the town.
In December 2020 he was also appointed to the Heart of the South West LEP Board as a non-executive director with particular responsibility for tourism.
He said: "I am absolutely delighted to be joining the team at Visit Devon. I am looking forward to working and collaborating with everyone involved, helping grow and improve the quality and value of the Visitor Economy in our beautiful county and helping our members and their businesses thrive and grow to the benefit of all."
Outgoing chairman Rhys Roberts Rhys, proprietor of the Best Western Tiverton Hotel, has been instrumental in Visit Devon’s development over the past five years. His leadership has resulted in the company being recognized nationally and internationally as the destination marketing organisation for Devon.
- 1 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 2 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 3 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 4 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 5 Torquay United penalty order...just in case
- 6 Concentration the key for Torquay United
- 7 Tributes paid to village character Leebo who will be missed by many - but not perhaps some marauding football fans!
- 8 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 9 Congratulations from Clarke
- 10 So much at stake for Torquay United
His contribution to Visit Devon and the tourism sector was recently acknowledged at the Devon Tourism Awards where he received the Outstanding Contribution to Tourism Award.
Rhys, who will remain on the board as a director, said: "The past five years have been an incredible roller coaster ride with real progress coupled with the crushing disappointment of the closure of the industry in the region.
"However Visit Devon is well placed to play a key role in promoting tourism in the future. I have enjoyed my role immensely and look forward to working with Vince and the board on the next phase in the continued success of Visit Devon.”