United Community Day - it's a 'sell-out'
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
A special community day at Torquay United looks like being a knockout success.
The club wanted to play its part as sport is put back at the top of the agenda in Torbay.
Torbay Council has put up £30,000 in funding over the next three years to help clubs get people back into sport after the pandemic and help the more elite athletes achieve their sporting drams.
Successful grant applicants are being invited to a special reception and community day at United's home game on Saturday.
The Wollens away stand was made available as 1,000 free tickets to the game were offered to the clubs, individuals, Sport Torbay members and the wider Bay community including youth groups.
And a United spokesman has revealed: "We are delighted to say that the whole of the allocation for the Community Tickets have all gone.
"The uptake from the Torbay community is fantastic, and we look forward to building relationships, to attract new people to our club.
- 1 How we can cope with the Enemy Within
- 2 Devon beaches producing a healthy catch
- 3 Johnson looking to turn around the "mess"
- 4 Norrms McNamara: Ten-second delay...
- 5 Jim Parker: Top fashion store Maggie & Co closes doors after 48 years - but 'we leave on a high'
- 6 Part Two of the famous Gents bus and Beacon Down becomes Broken Down!
- 7 Torbay's green spaces go wild
- 8 Picture special: Sunrise in Torquay
- 9 Extended semi-detached house offers scope for annexe
- 10 Driving home for Christmas - but plan ahead to minimise problems
"This afternoon promises to be one that will be remembered by the Torbay community, with the club, Sport Torbay, Torbay Council, Torbay Weekly and the Torbay community coming together for the best for the Bay, and will be the first of many community days we hope to hold going forward... one club, one community."
The club is one of many organisations working with the council and other key stakeholders including Sport Torbay on various sport and health and wellbeing initiatives at the moment.