Twice-weekly rapid Covid testing for everyone
- Credit: Torbay Council
Everyone in Torbay is now able to get free, rapid Covid-19 tests twice a week.
Alongside the vaccine rollout, regular testing for people without symptoms of Cocid-19 is at the heart of plans to re-open society and the economy, helping to prevent the spread of the virus.
One in three people with Covid-19 does not experience any symptoms and may be passing on the virus without realising. Regular testing helps to identify those people quickly so they can isolate and prevent spreading the virus.
Rapid LFD testing has so far been available to those most at risk and people who need to leave home for work.
Now rapid testing is offered to everyone, with people encouraged to take regular tests to help prevent outbreaks and reclaim a more normal way of life.
Julia Chisnell, consultant in public health for Torbay Council, said: “Because around one in three people with Covid-19 shows no symptoms, regular testing for the whole of the community will play an important part in reducing the spread of infection as we open up business and society in the Bay.
“A negative test is not a guarantee that someone does not have the virus. People should continue to follow the hands, face and space and fresh air guidance.”
- 1 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 2 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 3 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 4 Torquay company gets Twitter boost from Theo Paphitis
- 5 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 6 Perfect ending to memorable match
- 7 'Passionate and privileged' - that's Hospice at Home team member Donna
- 8 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 9 Plans for more than 1,000 homes in new 'mini-town' get green light
- 10 It's the Sue and Sarah show at Torquay's Artizan Gallery
There are several convenient ways people can get their regular tests in Torbay:
- at the community testing site at Quay West car park in Paignton. Book online for a guaranteed slot or drop in
- at one of the new mobile testing units that will be stationed at various sites in Brixham, Paignton and Torbay from April 14 – check the Torbay Council website for daily details
- ordering home testing kits online or by calling 119
- by collecting testing kits from Clennon Valley local testing site in Paignton during specific times
- from a participating local pharmacy.
Anyone with symptoms of Covid-19 should still book a PCR test online or by calling 119. This is a different type of test from the rapid LFD test used for people without symptoms.