Tributes to much-loved radio presenter
- Credit: Submitted
Tributes have been paid after the sudden death of much-loved radio presenter Andrew Millar.
Andrew, who died in Southampton General Hospital on Wednesday, June 2, previously presented for Torbay Hospital Radio and had been a role model for many a presenter at Torbay’s local radio station Riviera FM, as well as giving support to many charities across the country, throughout and prior to the pandemic.
Andrew worked for Carnival UK as entertainment and retail director for Ocean Village Holidays, retail product director for P&O Cruises as well as breaking into the well-being sector of Carnival, which included Cunard as well as P&O.
He was instrumental in Cunard becoming one of the first major sponsors of Southampton Pride, which still stands to this day.
His most recent job acquisition was working for MDL Marinas Ocean Village as marina manager.
Andrew who previously lived in Torbay, recently moved to Southampton, but continued with his radio career at Riviera FM.
Riviera FM’s managing director Martin Foster said: “Andrew will be a great loss to the station. He was greatly respected by all his colleagues and listeners alike.
- 1 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 2 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 3 Athletics: Busy and successful weeks on racing calendar
- 4 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 5 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 6 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 7 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
- 8 Feline Network Cat Rescue: Can you offer a home to a golden oldie?
- 9 Fostering - why not consider a vocation that makes a real difference?
- 10 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
"He presented with great energy and charisma to his audience, bringing a lot of interaction to all his listeners.
“He was a great communicator with a wonder persuasive presentation style, which enabled him to connect with his audience, and will be sadly missed by all.”
Catherine Dodd, programme controller at Torbay Hospital Radio, said: “Andrew joined the station in 2018 and was a very genuine, kind-hearted man who always went the extra mile to help others.”
Andrew's husband Ken said: “Is it with greatest sorrow to let you all know that my darling Andrew Millar has passed away peacefully. My heart has been broken into pieces and it will never be whole again.
"Andrew you were my rock, my confidante, my everything. Thank you for giving me the best that life could offer and more. You were a big man with a much bigger heart. You are the best dad, brother, grandad, son, friend, partner one could ask for. My heart is bursting with so much love for you it hurts. Rest well my love. Please wait for me on the other side.”
Andrew is survived by his mother and father and also leaves behind two daughters, one granddaughter and one grandson. The family live in Fife, Scotland.