Tributes paid to former Torbay pub landlady Debbie
- Credit: Archant
Tributes paid to former Torbay pub landlady
Tributes have been paid to a well-known former Torbay pub landlady.
Grandmum Debbie Webber and ex-husband John spent a lifetime in the hospitality industry.
They will be best remembered as landlords of the Royal Standard in Torquay's Hele Village and then at Torquay Athletic Rugby Club where they ran the bars and catering side of the club.
The Standard, which closed several years ago, was their first pub more than 40 years ago.
They ran the bars at the Recreation Ground rugby club for 10 years after that, finishing when they went their separate ways 20 years ago.
Debbie, who died after a short illness aged 63 two weeks ago, leaves behind son Gavin, 39, and daughter Charlotte, 36, and grandchildren Ollie, 14, Kenzie, nine, and Daisy, seven.
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
Son Gavin said: 'I have been overwhelmed with the response we have had. People have talked about how much respect she had. People always listened to her. She was never scared to speak her mind.'
Debbie moved from Solihull to Torbay with her family when she was just a young girl. The family ran the former Babbacombe Creamery in Torquay.
She spent some time as a care worker and then sales assistant before retiring on medical grounds seven years ago.
She lived in Hele for almost 40 years.
Her greatest loves were the grandchildren and rugby and Torquay Athletic where she was a regular supporter watching Gavin and then grandson Ollie play.
Gavin said: 'The grandkids were a massive part of her life.'
He added: 'The family would like to say a huge thanks to everybody for all their kind messages. It has been phenomenal.'