Town centre street closed as fire fighters tackle blaze
- Credit: Jay Richards
One person was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire in Torquay town centre.
Market Street was closed off as fire crews tackled the blaze which started at just after 8am on Thursday.
It is believed to have started in a bin but then spread to a nearby building which houses a shop and four flats.
Six fire engines and four supporting appliances attended.
Police and the fire service are investigating.
A fire service spokesman said: ""One person suffered from smoke inhalation. Firefighters are extinguishing the fire on the lower floors. Everyone is accounted for."
A police spokesperson said: "Police are assisting the fire service with the investigation into the cause of the fire."
- 1 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 2 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 3 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 4 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 5 Torquay United penalty order...just in case
- 6 Concentration the key for Torquay United
- 7 Tributes paid to village character Leebo who will be missed by many - but not perhaps some marauding football fans!
- 8 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 9 Congratulations from Clarke
- 10 So much at stake for Torquay United
Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 101 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting log 194, 10/06/21.