Town centre street closed as fire fighters tackle blaze
- Credit: Jay Richards
One person was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire in Torquay town centre.
Market Street was closed off as fire crews tackled the blaze which started at just after 8am on Thursday.
It is believed to have started in a bin but then spread to a nearby building which houses a shop and four flats.
Six fire engines and four supporting appliances attended.
Police and the fire service are investigating.
A fire service spokesman said: ""One person suffered from smoke inhalation. Firefighters are extinguishing the fire on the lower floors. Everyone is accounted for."
A police spokesperson said: "Police are assisting the fire service with the investigation into the cause of the fire."
- 1 Stephanie lined up for top award - and is one of 'Our Heroes'
- 2 Property of the Week: Character cottage that's close to town centre
- 3 Jim Parker: Seafront illuminations are shining a light on bright future of our English Riviera
- 4 Christian: 'I'm determined to make a difference'
- 5 Only their best is good enough
- 6 Gym fund-raising kids are just a knockout
- 7 Goalkeeper Shaun MacDonald has 'no regrets or worries about being back'
- 8 Torbay's last surviving Bayline minibus is back
- 9 MP Kevin Foster: Positive progress with plans to get rid of building everyone loves to hate
- 10 Armani back in the frame
Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 101 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting log 194, 10/06/21.