Town centre market returns - and it's staying all year
- Credit: Jay Richards
Torquay's town centre market is to return for its third year - and will now run all year round.
The market, run by the Torquay Town Centre Partnership and supported by Torbay Council, will be back in Lower Union Street from Saturday May 1.
The market will then run every Thursday, Friday and Saturday through to mid- September, reverting back to a Thursday and Saturday operation through to the popular Christmas Market in December. Opening times are from 9am to 4pm.,
Market managers Stephen Holdup and Maxine Snell say: "We are looking forward to welcoming all the traders from previous years plus the ever-changing mixture of new stalls that keeps an energy running throughout the year, an atmosphere unique to market trading.
"The rich diversity and mix of market items never fail to attract visitors from far and wide. The Partnership team works hard to give the town that footfall factor that our fellow traders so very much need as we all adjust our lives after lockdown.
"The retailers in the town have been asking for months as to when we are going to open, as they have become reliant for that buzz of activity to fill our streets again. We have all gone through an exceptional year on the high street, so the Town Centre Partnership are eager to get going again."
Last year saw the profits from the market stalls used to benefit the town as a whole ass they provided the Christmas illuminations. With Covid, it was touch and go as to whether this goal could be achieved.
- 1 'Earring aid' pair are inspiring sister act!
- 2 Captain Asa 'would give anything' to lead Gulls to promotion
- 3 Vince to lead way for Devon tourism
- 4 Tracey 'honoured and excited' as she takes up schools' Trust's top role
- 5 I'd like to thank the people of Paignton for backing Cat
- 6 Latest twist in the National League race
- 7 Cup Final day in the Predicta competition
- 8 Torquay Museum reopening with new exhibitions and half-price admission for local people
- 9 Picture special: Torquay seafront
- 10 Fans can return to Plainmoor
Stephen and Maxine say: "The partnership delivered. As a big welcome back to traders old and new, the markets opening day Saturday May 1 will be free, no charges to anyone who wishes to trade.
"So come on down and enjoy, as we all know, with our staycation summer on the horizon, the retail trade, whether a shop or market trader, should benefit with a bumper season. At last, we all have something to look forward to, with the Torquay Town Centre Partnership ready to deliver."