Bay tourism leaders help task force strike gold
- Credit: Submitted
A special tourism task force, including two key figures from Torbay, has won a top award.
The Great South West Tourism Partnership was awarded a prestigious gold for its Outstanding Contribution to Tourism in the South West Tourism Awards.
Carolyn Custerson, chief executive of the English Rivera BID Company, and Becky Davies, senior economic development officer and tourism lead at TDA, are members of the partnership which was set up to help the industry and fight tourism’s corner in the government’s corridors of power during the pandemic.
The group comprised members of various destination management organisations throughout the South West who fought tooth and nail for a sector brought to its knees by Covid.
It successfully campaigned on a number of fronts including a VAT reduction for tourism and hospitality businesses, extra government grants and pay-outs from insurance companies.
The tourism leaders met online virtually every week during the past 12 months.
Individual businesses did Torbay and South Devon proud at the awards which were held virtually.
- 1 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 2 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 3 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 4 Plans for more than 1,000 homes in new 'mini-town' get green light
- 5 Perfect ending to memorable match
- 6 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 7 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 8 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 9 Five things from Torquay United's weekend
- 10 Is the new car sales rise a result of the pandemic?
The Brownscombe Luxury Glamping business at Compton, Marldon, struck gold in the Glamping Business of Year category.
The Cary Arms & Spa in Torquay received silver in Casual Dining and bronze in the Small Hotel category.
Owner Peter de Savary said: “The Cary Arms & Spa keeps winning prestigious awards and many accolades every year, which is thanks to the extraordinary efforts of our loyal team. Thank you all."
There was a bronze award in Cafe of the Year for Chloe Pavely and her Fishcombe Cove Cafe at Brixham.
Torquay’s Lincombe Hall Hotel was awarded bronze in the Spa and Wellbeing Experience category.
In Restaurant of Year the Angel at Dartmouth picked up a silver.
There was a commended in Bed and Breakfast of the Year for the Brightham House Boutique B&B at Kingsbridge, silver for Salcombe’s Bolbery Farm Cottage in Dog Friendly Business, a commended in Holiday Park of the Year for the Lady’s Mile Holiday Park at Dawlish Warren, bronze for the Nethway Farm Holiday Cottages at Kingswear in the Self Catering Accommodation category and a commended for Salcombe’s Gara Rock in the Small Hotel category..