Bay tourism leaders help task force strike gold
- Credit: Submitted
A special tourism task force, including two key figures from Torbay, has won a top award.
The Great South West Tourism Partnership was awarded a prestigious gold for its Outstanding Contribution to Tourism in the South West Tourism Awards.
Carolyn Custerson, chief executive of the English Rivera BID Company, and Becky Davies, senior economic development officer and tourism lead at TDA, are members of the partnership which was set up to help the industry and fight tourism’s corner in the government’s corridors of power during the pandemic.
The group comprised members of various destination management organisations throughout the South West who fought tooth and nail for a sector brought to its knees by Covid.
It successfully campaigned on a number of fronts including a VAT reduction for tourism and hospitality businesses, extra government grants and pay-outs from insurance companies.
The tourism leaders met online virtually every week during the past 12 months.
Individual businesses did Torbay and South Devon proud at the awards which were held virtually.
- 1 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 2 Wrong red for Wrexham
- 3 FA Cup defeat creates two-week break for Gulls
- 4 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 5 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 6 Casting announced for The Osmonds: A New Musical at Princess Theatre
- 7 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 8 All go at Rotary club with new president, vaccines, golf and a chicken run!
- 9 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 10 Kelly’s 100 miles for Breast Cancer awareness
The Brownscombe Luxury Glamping business at Compton, Marldon, struck gold in the Glamping Business of Year category.
The Cary Arms & Spa in Torquay received silver in Casual Dining and bronze in the Small Hotel category.
Owner Peter de Savary said: “The Cary Arms & Spa keeps winning prestigious awards and many accolades every year, which is thanks to the extraordinary efforts of our loyal team. Thank you all."
There was a bronze award in Cafe of the Year for Chloe Pavely and her Fishcombe Cove Cafe at Brixham.
Torquay’s Lincombe Hall Hotel was awarded bronze in the Spa and Wellbeing Experience category.
In Restaurant of Year the Angel at Dartmouth picked up a silver.
There was a commended in Bed and Breakfast of the Year for the Brightham House Boutique B&B at Kingsbridge, silver for Salcombe’s Bolbery Farm Cottage in Dog Friendly Business, a commended in Holiday Park of the Year for the Lady’s Mile Holiday Park at Dawlish Warren, bronze for the Nethway Farm Holiday Cottages at Kingswear in the Self Catering Accommodation category and a commended for Salcombe’s Gara Rock in the Small Hotel category..