'It's time to put sport back on map in Bay - with your help'
- Credit: Sport Torbay
Torbay's sports clubs and organisations are being asked to unite as a new era dawns for sport in the Bay.
The annual meeting of Sport Torbay takes place virtually tonight with looking to the future very much at the top of the agenda.
Chairman Jim Parker said: "The new Liberal Democrat/Independent regime currently running Torbay Council has shown a desire to put sport back on the map after years of neglect.
"Councillors and officers are now working far more closely with the local sporting fraternity. For the first time in decades, money has actually been found for clubs to bid into to finance coaches and the like to help clubs get people of all ages and ability back into sport after the pandemic.
"New sports, playing facility and other surveys and strategies are being developed and relationships are being improved and in some cases forged for the first time with governing bodies and Sport England.
"I think everybody is beginning to realise that sport isn't just about sport. It's about mental as well as physical health and wellbeing. It is about tackling things like obesity, deprivation and child poverty.
"And it is absolutely about getting people across the board active again after what has felt like a lifetime locked down."
- 1 Gulls walking Covid tightrope ahead of Solihull visit
- 2 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 3 Gulls downed by two late goals
- 4 Torbay remains 'Covid capital of Devon' despite drop in cases
- 5 Mark takes over at helm as Teignbridge Propellers invest in future
- 6 Swiss Raw crew cross finish line to win Atlantic rowing race
- 7 Patricia's delighted to bring Noel Coward's Private Lives to Princess Theatre
- 8 Green Spaces: A place to grow for Torbay trees
- 9 Increase in number of incidents on Torbay waters
- 10 Lack of experience damages United
Around £90,000 over the next three years has been secured for local sports projects by council deputy leader Darren Cowell who is a sports enthusiast and in charge of the council's finances!
A Sport Torbay Facebook group has now been set up and has attracted more than 230 people.
Torbay Hockey Club, Torbay Table Tennis Club, Torquay Golf Club, Exeter and District Basketball Association, which covers Torbay, and Paignton Villa Football Club are among those who have signed up as Sport Torbay members.
"Momentum is gathering. It would be a real shame if we don't grab the moment now," says Parker. "We need the support of all the local sports clubs and that starts with the annual meeting tonight."
To join the Sport Torbay Facebook group go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/sporttorbay/about
Tonight's meeting starts at 7pm. You can access the meeting using this link: