Torbay’s Ocean Youth Radio wins ‘Oscar’ at awards
- Credit: Archant
Torbay's Ocean Youth Radio has won the best achievement in the community award at this week's Young Audio Awards 2020.
The Young Audio Awards, supported by both commercial and BBC radio, is a national competition aimed at discovering the next generation of audio talent, which is judged by experts from across radio and podcasting.
As well as winning the best achievement in the community award, three young producers from Ocean Youth were also nominated individually for three other awards.
The awards ceremony, usually hosted at the BBC's Radio Theatre and presented by BBC Radio 1 presenters Matt Edmundson and Mollie King, was streamed live.
Members of Ocean Youth had to turn to social media to celebrate.
Last year, Ocean Youth's producer Alexis Weller won best rising talent and two other producers were nominated as well.
Mike Cook, director at Sound Communities and project manager at Ocean Youth Radio, said: 'We are delighted to win such a fantastic award that recognises all the commitment and endeavour our young presenters and producers have dedicated to ensuring young people's voices from across the community of Torbay are heard.
- 1 Oldway Mansion squash courts set to be demolished
- 2 Torquay United playing games as fast as possible
- 3 Billionaire's superyacht joins cruise ships in Torbay
- 4 Torquay United 0 Sutton United 0
- 5 Torquay United coming through unscathed
- 6 Fitness professional Zoe joins team at South Devon College academy
- 7 Council to build industrial units at Torquay coach station
- 8 Make sure you have the best mortgage for you
- 9 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 10 Tributes paid to college champion, BBC legend and 'real gentleman' Alan, 85
'Radio and music production has been an incredibly important part of improving the self-esteem and wellbeing of so many young people in the community, so to receive an award that showcases this makes all our team of young people incredibly proud. Thank you Young Audio Awards!'
Finn Boyes from Paignton was nominated for the BBC Sounds Rising Talent Award 2020 for ages 12 to 15. Finn said: 'I used to be really shy but this has really helped me. I can talk to more people now.'
Ricardo Burt, also from Paignton, was nominated again this year for the category of best comedy radio.
Winning best achievement in the community award is a national recognition of the work that young producers and presenters from Torbay have been doing in the community since 2011.
In March, Ocean Youth Radio launched Shipwreck Radio on Ocean Youth in response to the lockdown under Covid-19 to provide ways to tackle isolation and ensure young people's voices continue to be heard.