Celebrate Armed Forces Day with online events
- Credit: Archant
Torbay residents are being urged to get involved with online activities that this year celebrate Armed Forces Day.
Armed Forces Day is an annual event which takes place on the last Saturday each June, to commemorate the service of men and women in the British Armed Forces.
Due to Covid-19, events which were planned to celebrate this year's Armed Forces Day on Saturday (June 27) have been cancelled but there are many ways you can still join in and show your support.
The Official Armed Forces Day website gives ideas on how you can show your support from home, with activities such as Salute Our Forces. To make sure you get your salute right, there are some short videos which show you how the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force salute.
Armed Forces Day celebrations began on Monday (June 22) when the Armed Forces Day flag was raised on buildings and famous landmarks around the country.
To show Torbay's support, Torbay Council's own Armed Forces Day flag was due ot be raised at Torquay Town Hall on Monday morning.
Cllr Steve Darling, leader of the council, said, 'Showing support for the armed forces provides a much-valued morale boost for the troops and their families.
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 3 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 4 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 5 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 6 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 7 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 8 Cyclists off to Scotland in support of 'super vet' star
- 9 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 10 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
'As with the VE Day celebrations back in May, we are having to find alternative ways to show our appreciation and support for those that served and continue to serve in our armed forces and I'd encourage Torbay residents to get involved with the various online activities.'
Torbay Council is committed to supporting armed forces families and veterans. Find out how to get support if you're a serving or former armed forces member, reservist or family member by visiting the 'Armed forces and veterans' section of the council's website.