Celebrate Armed Forces Day with online events
- Credit: Archant
Torbay residents are being urged to get involved with online activities that this year celebrate Armed Forces Day.
Armed Forces Day is an annual event which takes place on the last Saturday each June, to commemorate the service of men and women in the British Armed Forces.
Due to Covid-19, events which were planned to celebrate this year's Armed Forces Day on Saturday (June 27) have been cancelled but there are many ways you can still join in and show your support.
The Official Armed Forces Day website gives ideas on how you can show your support from home, with activities such as Salute Our Forces. To make sure you get your salute right, there are some short videos which show you how the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force salute.
Armed Forces Day celebrations began on Monday (June 22) when the Armed Forces Day flag was raised on buildings and famous landmarks around the country.
To show Torbay's support, Torbay Council's own Armed Forces Day flag was due ot be raised at Torquay Town Hall on Monday morning.
Cllr Steve Darling, leader of the council, said, 'Showing support for the armed forces provides a much-valued morale boost for the troops and their families.
- 1 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 2 Tributes paid to college champion, BBC legend and 'real gentleman' Alan, 85
- 3 NL suspension is out of the question
- 4 Dumped goldfish and carp rescued after found flapping for life on grass verge
- 5 Gulls going for 'double' after transfer signings
- 6 Midfield decisions for Torquay United
- 7 Work set to start at Torquay seafront gardens
- 8 Purple Angel helping Torbay Hospital
- 9 Widow Joan, 87, tells anti-vaxxers: 'Don't be silly'
- 10 Decision time for National League clubs
'As with the VE Day celebrations back in May, we are having to find alternative ways to show our appreciation and support for those that served and continue to serve in our armed forces and I'd encourage Torbay residents to get involved with the various online activities.'
Torbay Council is committed to supporting armed forces families and veterans. Find out how to get support if you're a serving or former armed forces member, reservist or family member by visiting the 'Armed forces and veterans' section of the council's website.