Silver jubilee as Prince’s Trust programme is first to restart in region
- Credit: Archant
Torbay youngsters got the chance to take part in the prestigious Prince's Trust Team programme again this week at Eat That Frog - making it the first Team programme to restart in Southern England after the Covid-19 lockdown in March.
The Prince's Trust Team programme is a 12-week course for 16 to 25 year olds who aren't in work or training, giving them qualifications, activities and work experience, plus the chance to make new friends and participate in outdoor activities and community projects.
For Eat That Frog's Team programme leader Kieran Duggan, it's a double celebration - this will be his 25th Team programme.
Since starting work for the Prince's Trust ten years ago, Kieran has worked with almost 250 young people, and estimates that 80 per cent of those have moved into work and/or further education opportunities as a result of the programme.
Kieran, 49, trained to be a youth worker in his late 30s after working on building sites for many years - he wanted to find a role where he could help young people and really put something back into the community.
His enthusiasm for supporting others is plain to everyone who meets him, and he says he's just as excited about his 25th programme as he was for the very first one: 'No two groups are ever the same - there's always a new group of people with new challenges, ideas and aspirations. That's what keeps it so interesting - every time we have a new set of issues to help them overcome so they can achieve and progress in life, and making that happen is why I still really enjoy what I do.'
• If you'd like more information about Eat That Frog's Prince's Trust Team programme and how it can help young people, call 01803 551551 or visit www.eatthatfrog.ac.uk
- 1 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 2 Emotional day that revealed close-knit family behind monarchy
- 3 Spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated, and extended
- 4 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 5 Dramatic bovine rescue from Torbay waters
- 6 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 7 National League round-up
- 8 All aboard the Land train for lots of fun - and a history lesson or two!
- 9 I hope formality is put aside and the Queen is able to grieve for Prince Philip
- 10 An ideal family home or investment purchase