Silver jubilee as Prince’s Trust programme is first to restart in region
- Credit: Archant
Torbay youngsters got the chance to take part in the prestigious Prince's Trust Team programme again this week at Eat That Frog - making it the first Team programme to restart in Southern England after the Covid-19 lockdown in March.
The Prince's Trust Team programme is a 12-week course for 16 to 25 year olds who aren't in work or training, giving them qualifications, activities and work experience, plus the chance to make new friends and participate in outdoor activities and community projects.
For Eat That Frog's Team programme leader Kieran Duggan, it's a double celebration - this will be his 25th Team programme.
Since starting work for the Prince's Trust ten years ago, Kieran has worked with almost 250 young people, and estimates that 80 per cent of those have moved into work and/or further education opportunities as a result of the programme.
Kieran, 49, trained to be a youth worker in his late 30s after working on building sites for many years - he wanted to find a role where he could help young people and really put something back into the community.
His enthusiasm for supporting others is plain to everyone who meets him, and he says he's just as excited about his 25th programme as he was for the very first one: 'No two groups are ever the same - there's always a new group of people with new challenges, ideas and aspirations. That's what keeps it so interesting - every time we have a new set of issues to help them overcome so they can achieve and progress in life, and making that happen is why I still really enjoy what I do.'
• If you'd like more information about Eat That Frog's Prince's Trust Team programme and how it can help young people, call 01803 551551 or visit www.eatthatfrog.ac.uk
- 1 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 2 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 3 Johnson on FA Cup result: 'Havant deserved something out of game'
- 4 Charlton await United - if Gulls can win FA Cup replay
- 5 Aldi, KFC and Costa Coffee plan approved for 'Gateway to Torquay'
- 6 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 7 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
- 8 Paignton pub The Isaac Merritt to go up for auction
- 9 Stoppage-time goal books Torquay United under-18s a place in FA Youth Cup first round
- 10 Blooming marvellous Torbay winners