Musicians come together for lockdown album
- Credit: Archant
Musician and producer Kali Vibz spent his lockdown bringing together a unique Torbay perspective on the new world we live in, providing a creative platform for local talent.
Live music suffered from the impact of Covid-19 but those it made producers more determined than ever to share their music.
'At the start of the lockdown, I wanted to bring people together through music, so I decided to put together a local collaborative album for free,' said Kali.
'I produced and recorded it for free, alongside Ocean Recording Studios in Paignton.
'The idea was to boost local talent and morale in these difficult times.
'We ended up with 21 artists, some of the best talent in Torbay and ages ranging from 14 to 50 years old. It was a chance to showcase the talent Torbay has to offer.
'The theme was 'islands in the sun', and I just wanted them to create music with a summer vibe. I helped them with ideas and beats, and when the restrictions relaxed, we were able to get in the recording studio.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 3 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 4 Chance to have your say on power giants' massive investment plans
- 5 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 6 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 7 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 8 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 9 500,000 meals and still going strong
- 10 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
'The album is called Island in the Sun by Kali Vibz and Friends, and all available for free on YouTube.'
Kali Vibz, a graduate from the music academy at South Devon College, provided a collaboration that has given musicians hope and inspiration.
Contributing artist Sophia Hennequin said: 'Music was always so important to me growing up. Suffering with a lot of health issues and being confined to the house, there was always hope because there was always music.
'I felt so blessed to be talking to people who shared the same interests as me who also encouraged me with my singing.'
'Recording the Island in the Sun was a lot of fun and gave me an opportunity to record in a studio for the first time and showcase my songwriting,' added contributing artist Allanah.