Hospital Friends providing comfort for patients
- Credit: Archant
Life is being made a little easier for patients needing an unplanned hospital stay during the pandemic, thanks to Torbay Hospital's League of Friends.
The charity stepped in to provide patient comfort packs when visiting was restricted because of Covid-19 and patients suddenly admitted to hospital could not receive items normally brought in by visitors.
Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the hospital, worked with the League to draw up with a list of personal items for the packs to make patients' hospital stays more comfortable.
The trust's donation team and clinical staff helped to organise the comfort packs which include hand cream, lip salve, face/hand wipes, tissues, toothbrush, toothpaste, a puzzle book, packet of mints, note pad and a pen.
WHSmith, which has a concession shop on the hospital site, provided all items at cost price.
The League bought enough items to make 400 comfort packs with the trust's volunteers pulling the packs together which are still being distributed to wards.
Dr Jo Sykes, a consultant at Torbay Hospital, said: 'Due to the restrictions of the Covid-19 pandemic, patients in our hospital have not been able to be visited in the same way as usual since March.
- 1 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 2 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 3 Plans for more than 1,000 homes in new 'mini-town' get green light
- 4 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 5 Perfect ending to memorable match
- 6 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 7 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 8 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 9 Five things from Torquay United's weekend
- 10 Is the new car sales rise a result of the pandemic?
'Torbay Hospital's League of Friends identified a need to provide them with some of the items that would normally be brought in by friends and family to make their lives more comfortable.
'All the patients who have received packs have been delighted. We are most grateful to the League of Friends in enabling us to provide support to our patients at such a challenging time.'
Kathryn Westaway, chairman of the League of Friends, said 'We were so pleased when the opportunity arose early in the lockdown period to have been able to provide these items to patients in the hope that they would make the first few days in hospital easier and a little bit more comfortable.
'We are very much looking forward to the time when all restrictions are lifted so we shall be able to contribute much more to help all patients in Torbay Hospital.'
For details about the hospital's League of Friends, or to donate, log on to www.thlof.co.uk