Torbay Half Marathon runners finally hit the streets
- Credit: Appleton Event Photography
More than 1,500 runners hit the seafront on Sunday to take part in the popular Torbay Half Marathon event after inevitable delays.
The organisers hailed it a great success with perfect running conditions and, as ever, top support from the people of Torbay.
A new 10k route proved popular and the day saw crowds safely line the route to support the runners across the Bay.
“We were so determined to hold this event and run it safely and with great support from Torbay Council, hundreds of volunteers, our generous sponsors, we managed to hold another successful event including a brand new 10k route,” said race director Greg Fine.
Organised by Torbay Athletic Club, and sponsored by local nursing and care agency Ocean Healthcare, the event is traffic-free and takes in stunning views of Torbay and runners from all over the country can finish their race with a post-run dip in the sea!
The event not only supports official race charities Rowcroft Hospice, NHS Devon Partnership and Torbay Holiday Helpers Network, it also donates to local charities and organisations.
This is made possible due to generous sponsorship from companies including Kitsons, Sweatshop Running, Enterprise, Essential Chiropractor, Bays Brewery and Ocean BMW.
- 1 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 2 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 3 New loan signing for United
- 4 Torbay Business Forum pair nominated for national awards
- 5 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 6 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 7 Cricket: All-rounder Craig Eaves returns to Brixham with eye on overdue promotion
- 8 Torbay builders merchant calling out to charities
- 9 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 10 New travel agency promises 'booking process as exciting as holiday itself'
Greg said: “We are so grateful to everyone who supports this event including the community who come out in force to support our runners - it really makes a difference.
"The volunteer marshals have made a name for themselves in being the most supportive!”
Next year's event is planned for June 26 and entries will be open soon.
For this year's race results, visit www.torbayhalfmarathon.co.uk