Torbay Half Marathon is back - with new addition
- Credit: Torbay Half Marathon
Torbay Half Marathon is back with a bumper race for 2021 - and a new addition.
The event, which usually takes place annually in June, has been postponed until Sunday, September 12, for this year.
Organisers are continually keeping a close eye on public health advice but are feeling confident.
The run starts and finishes on Paignton Green with a traffic-free route to Torquay seafront and back again.
Organised by Torbay Athletic Club, the team have secured the sponsorship of local nursing and care agency Ocean Healthcare, thus renaming it the ‘Ocean Healthcare Torbay Half Marathon’.
A half marathon spokesman said: "This sponsorship enabled the event to invest in a new brand and website last year and hopes to further improve the runners' experience.
"The run is traffic-free and takes in stunning views of Torbay and runners from all over the country can finish their race with a post-run dip in the sea!"
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
Organisers are delighted to add a new event; the Ocean Healthcare Torbay 10k - running just one lap of the half marathon route to allow more runners the chance to experience the thrill of the event and make an excellent first run experience.
Ken Rudge, managing director of Ocean Healthcare, said: “We are delighted to be the title sponsor for the 2021 Ocean Healthcare Torbay Half Marathon and the new Ocean Healthcare Torbay 10K.
"These events tie in really well with our philosophy of ‘Live Happy, Care Well’ which we believe is really important to everyone.
"Running is especially good as it has so many health benefits and is accessible to everyone!"
Other local businesses offering sponsorship include Kitsons, Lovells Sport, Bays Brewery and Ocean BMW.
The half marathon is a vital local event, raising thousands for local charities over the years by both offering free run places and donations.
One of the official charities is Rowcroft Hospice.
Alison Upton, Rowcroft’s community fundraising manager, said: “We are thrilled to be working with Ocean Healthcare Torbay Half Marathon and 10k.
"In 2019, Rowcroft runners raised over £14,000 to support patients in their local community. This year Team Rowcroft is even bigger!”
To sign up for the event or to volunteer, log on to www.torbayhalfmarathon.co.uk