Torbay girl guides have Covid-19 badge
- Credit: 1st Babbacombe Guides
Torbay girl guides have developed and are working towards a new Covid Champions’ badge.
The work by the 1st Babbacombe Guides is to complement the successful Covid Community Champions group which has been running in Torbay since November 2020.
The Covid Champions badge, which is one of the first of its kind, is a fun, interactive way to share information and looks at the challenges, as well as solutions, the pandemic has created.
It will see girls aged between ten and 14 take part in a range of 15 activities to achieve their badge.
1st Babbacombe Guide leader Rachel Boyko said: “The pandemic has been a huge part of our guides’ lives over the past 12 months, creating the Covid Champions badge recognises this and will help us to think about the impact it has had on us all.
“In our typical girl guide approach, our guides will choose how to approach some of our challenges around Covid-19 themes.
"From designing posters to coming up with ways to help look after the more vulnerable members of our community and friends and family - we're very excited to see the badge activities roll out.
- 1 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 2 Torquay company gets Twitter boost from Theo Paphitis
- 3 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 4 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 5 'Passionate and privileged' - that's Hospice at Home team member Donna
- 6 Typical mistakes you should avoid when selling your home
- 7 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 8 The Brit Awards and gender: A shift in attitude or just for show?
- 9 Local rescues are your first port of call for kittens
- 10 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
"The badge will also be designed by the 1st Babbacombe Guides unit."
The guides have been supported in the project by Torbay Council's public health team.
Councillor Jackie Stockman, Cabinet member for adults and public health, Torbay Council said: "This is a fantastic idea from one of our local groups for young people.
"It is one that we are proud to be able to support and look forward to hearing all about how the girls at the 1st Babbacombe Guides get on over the next few weeks."
If you are a youth group and would like to consider developing a similar programme, you should contact firstname.lastname@example.org